North Carolina-Outer Banks

Day of Coordination

Hello!

I went back in time to look for posting on day-of coordinators and wedding planners, but I wanted to ask your advice once again :)

I live in RI and we are traveling to the OBX for the first time just this weekend.  While I love researching online and everyone's postings are extremely helpful, I am starting to think about the additional benefits of a coordinator- especially for the day of when the last thing I want to worry about are the details. 

A good friend of mine has a cousin that is a planner at The Proper Setting.  I have received some quotes which I think are reasonable for a planner, around $75 an hour.  I am paying for the wedding myself, so I am trying to figure out if the additional expense will really help as much as I am hoping it will.  Any advice from those of you that have used a coordinator would be great!  If I do go with one, it will likely be my friend's cousin at The Proper Setting, so if you have used them, feedback is welcome!

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Day of Coordination

• edited December 2011
    I used Nannette at the Proper Setting.  Her husband Eric and her run the business.  Eric also runs the catering at Red Sky and we used them as well.  Nannette is wonderful to work with.  I dont know how I would have made it through the day without her.  She made sure my day went smoothly and everyone was where they needed to be.  She allows you to be a guest at your wedding instead of being in charge.  I would 150% recommend you use them!  Please let me know if you have any specific questions i can answer.
  • jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jennifer- THANK YOU!!!  We are also considering using Red Sky so that is good insight to know.  We are meeting with The Proper Setting, followed by Eric at The Red Sky Sunday and I didn't even know there was a connection!

What package did you go with can I ask?  Our major concern is the day of, so I am looking into those packages which include some additional planning.  Did they help out a lot with selecting vendors?  Were they able to help negotiate the deals?
  • edited December 2011
    You will not go wrong wth Red Sky.  We used them for our Rehearsal and wedding.  Our guest said it was the best food they have ever been served at a wedding.  Hopefully you are doing a tasting.  The owners of Red Sky, Wes and Cindy are also amazing to work with.  If you like sushi make sure you try their ahi tuna.  They have so many great options.

We did the Day Of Package.  Even though her services are for the day of, she gave me lots of guidance along the way.  She did not negotiate any contracts but if you had a question to her about price points or how flexible someone might be with their prices or packages, Nannette would give you her opinion if asked.  I found the day of plan to work great for us.  The day of is the day you want to disconnect and enjoy your day.  You do not want to be watching your clock and making sure your guests are where they need to be.
  • jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AWESOME! Thanks, that is exactly the direction we were thinking of going.  Did you find they cut you any deals or that it helped out a lot to have Red Sky and The Proper Setting due to the relationship?  We are meeting with a few other caterers as well so just curious.

Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello!
    I agree!  You will LOVE the girls at Proper Setting, and you can not go wrong with the food at Red Sky.  They are a fun bunch with excellent service and food!  If you are considering shopping around for other caterers, Coastal Provisions Market in Southern Shores also does a wonderful job.  :)  Proper Setting will help you also with your choice of vendors, including the caterer. The beach is small, so everyone has some sort of connection.
    Happy Planning!
    Melynda
  • edited December 2011
    I would not say I got a deal because of Nannette and Eric being married.  They try their best not to push either of their business on you.  I think Eric said, hey by the way if you are looking for a planner my wife does it.  But then he never pushed it any further.  Which is nice.  My dad was at a event and overheard a group of people talking about a wedding in the Outer Banks and they were saying how helpful their planner was and how they wished they had realized earlier how much assistance they could provie and it turned out the planner was Nannette with the Proper Setting.  So it is kind of funny how we chose her based on a completely different connection.  I felt the prices Red Sky provided were fairly reasonable.  You may have some room to negotiate and maybe I should of, but I was expecting a higher price so when they told me, I was happy to go with it.

I would agree with Melynda.  Most people in the wedding business are all connected somehow so any vendor you visit, will be able to give you feedback about everyone in the business probably.  I felt they all really support eachother.  Have you checked out OBXbrides.com?  it is a site a bunch of the vendors from OBX put together and you can get a lot of good info there.
  • jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the additional info.  I have been on OBXbrides.com, really helpful.  I know there are tons of planners that are all rated well.  If I do go with a planner, I am sold on The Proper Setting due to all of the feedback and somewhat personal connection (friend's cousin is Kerri, one of the planners).

Also great to hear all the good feedback on Red Sky.  I am doing a tasting, so pretty excited about that!  I have read nothing but great things about them. 

I will let you know how it all goes.  Thanks again everyone!  As always, so helpful!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards