North Carolina-Outer Banks

Gifts for each other, yes or no?

Hey there ladies,

I was wondering if any of you have or plan on getting a wedding gift for your hubby to give to him on the wedding day or day before, etc?  I ask this because previously I went through this, and wasn't sure at the time, nor am I now, if this is "proper" wedding etiquette or "to each their own" or what?  Whether it be big, or small, have any of you exchanged a gift to each other or plan on doing this?  If
so, what did you get him?  Ask for?  Etc.  Weddings are expensive, we all know that.  However sometimes a keepsake from the signifcant other on that special day can mean alot.

Before the silly answers of "no, we have each other" start to be posted, LOL, let me know.  I have seen both points of view. 

Thanks Ladies!!! Cool

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gifts for each other, yes or no?

• edited December 2011

We decided to give eachother a gift. We also discussed not doing this.  I really do think you would be fine either way, but I would decide together so on the day of your wedding one person doesn't feel bad for not getting you something if you got them something.
    I got us tickets to see Jimmy Buffet on our way home from the Outer Banks.  My husband loves Jimmy and it was a way to break up our trip home. We didn't go on our honeymoon until a few months after the wedding so it was something nice for us to do.  He got me a necklace.  It was laying on the pillow after everyone had left.  It made for a nice moment and nice surprise.

Good Luck, I sure whatever you decide she will appreciate.

• ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would like a gift.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    LMAO Kel!!!!! 

We have discussed it but haven't finalized anything yet.  I wouldn't really know where to start....

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kelly, you rock! LOL!

Philly- I was planning to buy Doug some cufflinks to wear with his suit as a surprise. He'd better get me something too... :)

I've heard that if you don't or can't do gifts, just write a note to them and have it delivered right before the wedding.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011

As of now, we aren't planning on giving each other gifts. Simply because we have spent so much money on the wedding, and our gift to each other is our vacation! ha I was thinking about getting us a couples massage for the day after though??

• hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You tell him Kelly!!!  LOL

We got each other small gifts.  We discussed it and weren't going to at first since we were spending so much money elsewhere, but then just decided to do small ones.  We actually exchanged them the night before we left to go to the OBX. 
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

So would I!  So HA!  Hmmmmm......

See, I think I can "sneak" these posts in without a CERTAIN PERSON reading them because SOMEONE is supposed to be SUPER BUSY at work. Kiss

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes but I search out posts with your name on it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The greatest gift that any of you will ever give each other is a wedding band.  Nothing will ever come close to that moment in time.  Just my humble opinion.
  • edited December 2011
    I think as long as you make the decision together, who cares. I agree w/everyone else - weddings are expensive so not giving a gift seems ok to me. We've talked about it once or twice and FI didn't even know couples gave gifts, so he thinks it's pointless (and he's not really a cufflinks or anything monogramed type of guy, which I wish he was bc they have some cool cufflinks out there!) haha...I told him I just want a nice note about how perfect I am. Innocent
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    @Boo I know, I know...... ;-)

@Everyone else  STALKER!!!!!  I sooooooooooo am marrying one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We traded gifts.  Weddings are expensive, so we set each other a $250 limit.  We both wrote each other a letter and sent it with the gifts. I loved it because when I see the presents, I'm reminded of our wedding day all over.

He gave me a Pandora bracelet with several charms on it.  He wrote in the letter about how it was like our relationship, growing and changing. So sweet!  We picked out another charm together while in the OBX and we'll keep adding at special moments until it's full.

I gave him a framed picture of our wedding night sky from Indigo Nights and vintage map cufflinks of our wedding location.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    @Christi Love the gifts!  I think Kel might like a Pandora bracelet.  Hmmmmmmm....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • afurr1227afurr1227 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I talked about doing this or not and we actually decided yes. We didn't set a limit for price because we are both fairly frugal people anyways. I am getting him a nice watch (we both only currently own sporty watches) that he can wear that day --- he has to have a watch on so this is my nice way of him not wearing his underwater watch ;) Ii'll get the date carved in the back as well.

I assume he will get me a small piece of jewlrey but I would be happy with just a hand written letter :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think we'll do gifts as well. At first I was leaning towards no, but his favorite band (Primus) is coming to Richmond in the middle of our honeymoon and he is definitely bummed. I think I'm getting him tickets for the show in Philly for the following week. I like the idea of giving a gift during the time you are separated before the wedding.
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think we'll be doing gifts, but something small.  I think that the most touching part is writing each other something.  I love when photographers capture the moment a bride/groom reads the note... so sweet!
    image June 22, 2012
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    ...and sweet gift, Russo!  I'd appreciate some awesome concert tickets!
    image June 22, 2012
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ooo I love the idea of a photographer capturing the moment you read the notes.  I wish I had thought of this.  Good idea Jen.
    Anniversary
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_gifts-other-yes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e9f4b56e-ecfa-44d1-96ba-9b2f0e78eb8dPost:69c54e49-473d-4124-b21e-95bc5fc534f6">Re: Gifts for each other, yes or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like a gift.
    Posted by ksj10032782[/QUOTE]

Philly, I think you got your answer.

BTW, we didn't exchange gifts.  Just rings and our hearts.
  • mandafite821mandafite821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Way to go Kelly!

I asked Owen if we were exchanging gifts or notes, this was his response, "We are suppose to give each other something?  This sounds like some tradition that you girls made up Amanda.  Isn't my heart enough for you?"  He then asked what kinds of gifts people gave and I told him watches, jewelry, just stuff to remember the day by.  He told me, "I will get you a swatch watch, and I am writing you a note that rhymes!"  

So needless to say, we probably won't do gifts!
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't even realize until recently this was a topic, and when I mentioned to FI he was surprised too.  However, I made the executive decision to tell him, No gift for me- my engagement ring was my present, but I'm going to surprise him with some boudoir photos.  I'm an ass and didn't schedule it until recently, so VERY unfortunately, I can't even take the pictures until after the wedding, and then of course it will take some time to get prints in, but I'd like some tasteful ones we could maybe even fram in the bedroom.   I haven't told him about it yet, but maybe after the wedding I will.

ALSO my mom had told me about the letter/card thing, and I do like that idea, so I'd like to propose that idea to him and just send each oher a little something in writing while we're getting ready.  That's genius to have the photographer catch it on film.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, but I can't take credit... though I should, right?

I just think it's a very personal/private moment on a hectic day.  You can say the things you don't feel comfortable saying in front of your guests.
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    @Jendem Nothing a little alcohol can't pry out of us brides and grooms, eh? Cool

LOL.  Just kidding. I know what you mean.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    True, Philly... so either a personal note, or just take a few shots before your vows!
    image June 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards