North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Veil Dilemma

Hi Ladies & Gent,
So I have a little dilemma regarding my veil. I'm not sure about wearing it. First, let me explain that my Grandma, who died 2 years ago, made it for my Mom to wear at her wedding in the 1970s. It's pretty and ornate, but also old and yellowed a bit from age. When I tried it with my dress at my first fitting, it just didn't look right to me. Afterwards, I sent my Mom pictures of me in the dress & veil and she agreed without me prompting her. She said I should consider not wearing it, or be open at the next fitting to trying a different veil.

Then I had my hair trial on Saturday, and I wore a headband with my hair. I loved the way it looked. Now I'm thinking maybe I should scrap the veil all together and wear a sparkly head piece instead. My dress has zero beading or sparkle, so it might be nice to bring that in a bit.

So, 1) do you think it's heartless not to wear my Grandma's veil, at least for the ceremony maybe? 2) if I don't, and I want to do a headpiece, where do I find some that aren't ridiculously priced?
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Veil Dilemma

• Options
    rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just the opposite.  I started out not wanting to wear a veil and in the past week I've changed my mind completely.  You could check weddingfactorydirect.com for headpieces.  They have TONS and are really affordable.  I bought a fabric flower and a feather and rhinestone hair clip from Icing, a division of Claire's a couple weeks ago.  I'm planning on wearing one of those wih a veil (maybe) or I might just wear one of those by itself.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are certainly not "heartless", its natural for styles to change and fabric to age, there is no controlling that. Is there another way you can maybe tie your grandmas fabric in? Maybe as a decorative chair drape for your bridal chair? Or maybe just take pictures with it on so she has some for herself? If she is a seamstress maybe she can even incorporate it into her dress somehow for your wedding, or onto a purse? Do you have a picture of the vail at all that you can post, that might help to visualize how it may work?

Sorry so many questions! haha :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wonder if there is some way you can incorporate the viel into it, like making a hankie out of it or having a piece of it sewn in your dress.
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love these ideas! Yes, I think something else could be done with Granny's veil to include it.

Rebecca- thanks for the website! I love this one: http://weddingfactorydirect.com/hp2000.html
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

That is a very pretty headband Sarah!!!  I love the little details on it :)

I too wasn't sure about wearing a veil and I still don't think I am....it's just not "me" if you know what I mean.  I did find 2 insanely gorgeous starfish hair clips that I will probably wear so I am excited about that.

You just have to go with whatever you are comfortable with and like PP's have said, maybe there is another way you incorporate her veil....maybe wrap it around your bouqet stem??

• Options
    mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Skip the veil if it doesn't look good.  I like the headband and the idea of incorporating a piece of the veil somewhere.  Maybe wrap a bow or something around your bouquet.
  • Options
    rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anytime.  I love that website and have spent hours on it looking at every single headpiece...lol.  The headpiece that you chose is so pretty and will look great with your dress.  I agree with PP's that you could incorporate it somewhere else.  If you're using a clutch you could have some of the fabric sewn into it somehow or have a garter made out of it.  I don't know how you'd feel about cutting up your grandma's veil though.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Skip the veil if you aren't that into it. Like others have said,maybe incorporate into something else.
    Check out Claire's or a store like that for a cheap head piece. They have a bunch but might be a little too "cheap". Also Michael's and other craft store carry a small inventory of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards