North Carolina-Outer Banks

Completely Devastated!! House is gone....

I am in tears right now and feel like the wedding I have always wanted is NOT going to happen now!  I received the lease for our pre-reserved house and the owner rent up on the price by $1,000!!!  Are you serious???  My heart was set on this house, I even imagined what the tent strung with white lights that would go on anything that would sit still, would look like.  For 5 mths this has been THE house and now, its an extra $1000 that we are NOT prepared to pay!  What owner in their right mind increases the price that much in this economy? 

I am absolutely heartbroken right now and have no idea what I am going to do!  Any of the houses that I put as back-ups are already gone....this is a bad nightmare!!  :(

Re: Completely Devastated!! House is gone....

• cbowen32cbowen32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sooooooorrrrry. Hope it works out.  Is the owner willing to negotiate?!?!?! Perhaps meet in the middle?!?!?!
  • edited December 2011
     I feel terrible for you.  Are you dealing directly with the owner, or are you dealing with the rental agency?
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Did you already have a contract w/ the agency or direclty w/ the owner?  If theres a signed contract stating the pricing then they legally cannot bump up the pricing on you.

imageAnniversary
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies!

Thanks so much for you kind words, I need it right now!  My mom is my cheerleader and is trying to keep my spirits up and find another home.  We talked to the agency and apparently the owner has several homes listed with them and she increased ALL of her homes by $1,000.  The rental lady told us that the agency even told her it would be hard to rent the at such a higher price and she basically doesnt care.  This isnt the first time they have had issues with this owner, but of course Im not supposed to know that, he he he.  The ladies at the agency have been SOOOO helpful and are so sorry that this happened.  I couldnt ask for a nicer group of ladies, honestly.  They said they already called her yesterday and told her what is going on with me and she refused to budge on the price, she wouldnt even meet me in the middle.  I never signed the lease as the leases dont go out until the fall and I got it via e-mail yesterday and that is when we discovered the price increase.  It clearly states that all homes are subject to a price increase...blah blah blah. 

I can only look at it this way:  it happened for a reason.  I may or may not figure out this reason, but either way, there is a reason that I should look elsewhere.  I can either continue to sulk about this or suck it up and continue the search.  Maybe I will find a much better home that is even prettier than the one we lost.  I do know one thing, someway and somehow, I will write a long letter to the owner and sneak into the house and hide it a book or something.  Even if it takes 5 years before the owner finds this letter, she will know that she was solely to blame for a bride missing out on the home she had dreamt of having her wedding at.  I wonder if this lady has daughters?  How would she feel if this happened to her daughter? 
    What really burns me about this is the fact that this isnt just some 8br home that I can rent from just anyone.  This house was advertised as an EVENT home and the owner, knowing that brides pre-reserve well in advance AND begin their planning at least 1 year in advance, has totally ruined this for us!  She has single handely (sp?) flipped my wedding world upside down.  Everything we have done thus far has been based on THIS house.  Thats what really gets me!  This owner is messing with the most important day of our lives....and could care less. 

Ok, so thanks for letting me rant for a few minutes ladies.  I just KNOW in my heart of hearts, that this WILL work out!  I am not one to allow something like this get me down!  That is just completely unproductive and a negative energy that I dont need in my life.  Brent was so sweet last night, he told me he would sell his truck if it meant making me happy!!   Of course I wont let him do that but just that he offered was sooo sweet!  At this point, its the principle of the matter....and well, the budget too, lol. 

Ok, so I am off to start my search on THE house!  I know I will find it and that all of this will work out.  I feel like you ladies are my little "bride family" and I will surley keep you posted.

I hope all of your planning is going great and thank you for your kind words!

Much love ladies,

Charlene & Brent

• Brooke723Brooke723 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just had my wedding at the Quack Shack in Duck and it was amazing! Take a look at that one
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe they raised the price by $1000!!  I haven't gotten my lease yet and now I am more than a little worried... the agency we talked to said they are encouraging their owners not to increase rents much if at all, but apparently they don't heed the advice of the agency, yikes!!  

Charlene, there are tons of beautiful houses -- I know you will find the right one!!  Sending good vibes your way!
  • MGreggBBlaireMGreggBBlaire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at Big Sea (50 people).  It is a non-event home but they did say that we "could have a pizza party and Karaoke 1 night."  The house was my "dream house" called Big Sea.  I wouldn't go over 50 people though.  I recommend Corolla where the beaches are longer in depth and just recommend you watch the tide schedule.  If you are still in need of a photographer I highly recommend Daniel Pullen Photography!  Email if you have questions  MGregg_01@hotmail.com
  • edited December 2011
    which house did this happen with?
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Big Mama's through Seaside Vacations....it was one of the very very few that I found that was an event home for 1, was a Sunday rental for 2 and allowed pets for 3.  Ohhh and to make it even harder, it was one of the only ones that had a beg grassy area large enough for a tent to be placed outside.

I had a lot of tough criteria to fill and Big Mama's did all of that for me....until the owner raised the price by $1,000.  I was so devastated when I called them about it and they informed me about the owners decision.  Its one thing if its just any ole 8br OF house however, the owner advertised this as an event/wedding home KNOWING that most brides plan at least 1 year in advance and make pre-reservations as soon as they can!  I had this house booked for 5 mths and planned everything around this house until she raised the price.  Seaside Vacations has been so considerate during this and has called me several times to suggest other homes, but sadly none of them fit my tough criteria.

I know in my heart this will all work out and that well, karma is a real B and it will bite the owner in the butt one day!

• hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Awww I'm so sorry that really sucks!  I would have completely lost it if that had happened to me.  I felt the same way about my house as you do with this one.  Its really crappy that they can do that with only 7 months to go and all the better houses are now already gone.  
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am truly hoping this happened so you'll find the right house.  I had thought I lost mine a few months back but only recently it became available (13 bdrms w/1bdrm honeymoon cottage on the same property) and I snatched it up.  I was worried about the event fee and expressed such to the agent and was happily surprised that it would only be $275 - we're having a small wedding that barely exceeds the capacity of the house.  For me it worked out better than expected even after going through the devastation of finding/losing/then finding again the perfect house.  

My fingers are crossed for you and I hope for the best!!
  • starla216starla216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LRPardy, what house are you using?  I like the idea of the honeymoon cottage!
  • ashleykurnatashleykurnat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having out wedding at The Love Boat in Frisco and the same thing happened to us!  We just found out our price raised 500 dollars.  It is very annoying but too late to really do anything about it.  (We are getting married in April).  Best of luck to you!  I,too, would like to know the name of the house with the honeymoon cottage:).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards