North Carolina-Outer Banks

Where are all my other Wild Horse brides?

Hello Ladies! 

I would love any and all input from other knotties who are getting married, or have gotten married, at the Twiddy event home, "The Wild Horse"! My wedding is September 28th 2012 :D did you utilize Twiddy's 4x4 bus for transportation? where did you do the ceremony, cocktail hour, dining, and dancing? how many guests did you have?? ANYTHING would be helpful!! also, photos are always great too! :D thanks, ladies! 

Re: Where are all my other Wild Horse brides?

• Congratulations and welcome!  September is such a gorgeous time of year on the Outer Banks and The Wild Horse is a great home :)

Here is a link from back in Feb from someone that was married there.  I don't see her post that often anymore, but there is a blog in her response, so you may be able to get in touch with her through that.  I think her name is Emily and she is about the 6th or 7th post down the thread

Hope this helps!

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-home-reception-large-group-outer-banks-nc

• Hi!

I was just married at the Wild Horse on May 18th! It is an AMAZING home!!

We did use Corolla Shuttle, which is owned by Twiddy, for the transporation. I recommend booking them early! We waited to long and could only have one shuttle which meant multiple trips to the house and with it being a bit of a drive we had to have guests hanging around the house for about 2 hours while we were trying to get things set up.

We did the ceremony out on the deck by the pool. We rented the chairs through Metro Rental. It would've been perfect except for the wind! During the ceremony the winds were about 30 mph which made it a bit difficult, but with the fence it helped keep some of the wind off the guests who were seated. Our florist also wasn't able to put up the majority of decorations for the outside due to the wind. The cocktail hour was on the upstairs deck. We used the reception room for dinner and dancing. We only had a total of about 70 people so we were all able to fit ok. It would probably have been to tight of a squeeze it we even had one more table in there. We only had 8. The food was set up on the deck right outside of the reception hall, which wasn't idle but it worked. I also had problems with the caterer due to the fact it wasn't supposed to be set up as a buffet but that's exactly how it was. If I could've changed one thing about it I would've chosen to have a plated dinner instead.

You can see our pictures by going to http://pamelaallenphotography.com/p47087958

Hope some of this is helpful!

• Lgrom--WOW!!!!  Your pics are great and you looked absolutely stunning in your dress!  I just love the bright blue dress against the guys yellow shirts and the set-up was great too!

Congratulations to you both!  :)

• Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I'm getting married at the Wild Horse next June! We actually just took a trip down this past weekend to tour the house and omg! I mean I knew it was huge but seeing it in person was amazing. Which vendors are you using? We're planning on having the ceremony on the large deck that juts out towards the ocean and cocktail hour down by the pool. We're still undecided about dinner and dancing. At first we were thinking of doing dinner in the dining room since there are already those huge tables and dancing in the reception room, but we're not sure that would flow and at what point/how do we move everyone from one room to the next. So we might try to fit both in the reception room. I'd love to hear others' ideas/see pics too! I really like to see how people decorated. Also, how are you/have you handled the whole food situation? Catered the whole week? Everyone brought their own food?
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_where-are-all-my-other-wild-horse-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:fb95d2f2-b060-4add-9a9e-121cf5dea113Post:3592599d-cfde-4670-bc90-fce37f44f9ad">Re: Where are all my other Wild Horse brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I'm getting married at the Wild Horse next June! We actually just took a trip down this past weekend to tour the house and omg! I mean I knew it was huge but seeing it in person was amazing. Which vendors are you using? We're planning on having the ceremony on the large deck that juts out towards the ocean and cocktail hour down by the pool. We're still undecided about dinner and dancing. At first we were thinking of doing dinner in the dining room since there are already those huge tables and dancing in the reception room, but we're not sure that would flow and at what point/how do we move everyone from one room to the next. So we might try to fit both in the reception room. I'd love to hear others' ideas/see pics too! I really like to see how people decorated. <strong>Also, how are you/have you handled the whole food situation? Catered the whole week? Everyone brought their own food?
    </strong>Posted by ashley2516[/QUOTE]

Congrats to you!  You made a great choice with The Wild Horse and yes, it is huge!

Most people who vacation in obx, be it for a wedding or just a family trip, will do their grocery shopping for the week once they check-in their rental home.  Having your food catered everyday is crazy expensive!  Our family will typically plan some sort of menu for the week for the dinners and breakfast and lunches are whatever you choose to do.  Sometimes we will all sit down for breakfast together, sometimes its just a muffin on the go or even going out for breakfast.  Think of it no differently than how you would eat back at home basically.  We always split the costs of groceries by the number of people staying in the house.  There is no "nickel & diming" about things if someone doesn't eat a certain kind of food that was purchased.  We divide it evenly....period.  Kind of like, we are all in it together type of attitude. 

During our wedding week, we hosted a Welcome Dinner (not the same as a RD--rehearsal dinner) for our family and my IL's (in-laws) so we could spend some time together with just family.  It was poolside on the deck and the guys grilled out while the ladies fixed all the sides and sipped on margaritas :)

I have been going down for 25 yrs now and my best advice to you on groceries is this:  go to your local Costco or Sam's Club and buy your bulk items there like paper plates and what not, and also your meat as they tend to have a really really good selection.  The grocery stores in obx get ransacked on Sat and Sun with everyone checking-in and the meat selection is weak at best.  The best time for meats is early morning or during the week, but who wants to go grocery shopping at that point?  We also bring down tupperware containers with aluminum foil, plastic wrap and baggies, spices, flashlights, trash bags, etc....basically anything that we know we will only use a small quantity of during that week but not worth spending the money for it, when you will end up taking it home and having double of everything you already own. 

Again, congrats to you and let us know if you have any questions along the way.

Ohhhh....and it my post above, there is a link full of pics from someone who was married there last year so you can see how they did their set-up.  Hope this helps :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards