January 2012 Weddings
Options

Expand Area for Job Search?

Hi everyone! So I have  a question I am struggling with... Do I expand the area of my job search? I know I want to teach this coming fall. So far I have only applied to positions in my husbands hometown because that is our dream, for me to get a job there and move back home. I've had two interviews in his hometown. One went EXTREMELY well and the other one was the complete opposite. I should find out in the beginning and middle of June about each job. As a precaution should I be applying to other school districts and not be SO picky about where I get hired. Jobs are hard to come by, teaching jobs even more so. The though of not being able to teach and live in my husband's hometown so close to his family is breaking my heart. What should I do?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: Expand Area for Job Search?

• Options
    TaraW1979TaraW1979 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    If it's breaking your heart then I would say no, do not apply where you don't want to live however, how far are you willing to commute to work? Are there school districts within an hour of your husband's family? If so, you could apply to those. An hour isn't bad. That's the distance between me and my in laws and we still see each other about once every two weeks. Or you could live in his hometown and have an hour commute to work each day.

You might get one of the jobs in his hometown, don't foget that. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with Tara.  If you don't want to live far away, don't apply for any that are outside of what you are willing to commute too. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you hear good news from the ones you've already intereviewed for. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You have to decide what your priorities are.

Living location, work location, commute time, having/not having a job.....

Are you willing to live where you want to live and commute to the next district over?  Or the one past that?  Are you willing to live a little closer to wherever you find a job and maybe be between his hometown and work so your commute isn't as bad?
  • Options
    I would figure out what you are willing to commute, and apply there. I have always been told you don't actually want to work in the town in which you live.
  • Options
    These ladies are wise...

I am all about commuting, so that might be a place to start.  What about getting on the subbing call list?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_expand-area-for-job-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:301a960c-458c-47f1-a528-8cc2b50ef5e7Post:5681a530-023c-43b8-9b88-21cd66188f0d">Re: Expand Area for Job Search?</a>:
    [QUOTE] What about getting on the subbing call list?
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

Good idea Jen!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks eveyone! I decided to do what all of you said. I am applying to the next district over. I just applied to 10 more jobs! We'll see what happens.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Great advice! As a long time commuter my one big piece of advice is to test drive your route during the times you'll be traveling. This can make a HUGE difference in the amount of time it takes you.
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards