Pennsylvania-Central

2 years to go...

I have now been engaged for 2 weeks and my fiancé and I have been together for 4 1/2 years. I'm really excited to be engaged finally! We are high school sweethearts from Cocalico. We are waiting 2 more years to get married (our date is 06-14-14) because he is in college. I quit college early and now I just work full time. We are really excited that in the past two weeks we have already reserved our date at our chuch (where we met in second grade) and we and a venue picked out. I want to start doing small projects like decorations and stuff because our entire wedding is DIY. Our venue for our reception is a pond with a stone parking lot in the middle of the woods that is a 2 mile dirt road back to it. So there is litterally nothing there.... I have to do everything! There has never been a wedding reception in our loacation before! We are waiting for next thursday to find out if it's even possible to have it there (it has to get approved). Do you think it's okay that I start planning already and that I want to start working on small decorations? I really don't do well with stress so I'm thinking it would be better to start getting stuff done now and just be able to enjoy the last few months before my wedding rather than worry about getting stuff done. 

P.S. If anyone would want to ever get together to work on DIY rustic country wedding stuff let me know, I don't have many friends outside of work and could use some haha.

Re: 2 years to go...

• Wow- 2 years is a long time to be planning....and lots of time for things to change!  Nonetheless, it also gives you lots of time to gather things on sale!  LOL  Take advantage of any and all 'after-holiday' sales!  Use those 40% off coupons from Michael's & AC Moore every week! Buy stuff from other brides here on the Knot!  Become an avid yard-saler!  ;)  Also gives you plenty of time in case you need to build something special for the wedding (like an arch).

There are certain vendors that may need an early reservation-like a photographer, venue or caterer.....but then again, some may not even want to talk to you until 12 months out.  Just remember to include a generator and porta-potties on your vendor list!  ;)  You may also need to look into making sure the dirt road gets some maintenance before the wedding - you don't want guests to get a broken axle or flat tire trying to drive back to your site!  :/

Good luck on getting approval for your site!  You are going to need the next 2 years to plan all of the extra's that will be required for a remote outdoor location! 
  • I don't think that it's too early to start thinking about/putting things together. I would definitely not overdo your venue though. Many people overdo outside ceremonies, just use the natural beauty and some of your own touches and it will be beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • az1177az1177 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Consider me for you photography needs!Free engagement session included with every wedding!!!http://addylaide.wix.com/adelaide-zuccarini-photography
  • My fiance and I were engaged 2 years ago and due to college we decided to wait until we saved up money and were financially ready. We are getting married in July! Hard to believe it's been 2 years. They FLY by!

I do suggest you start working on DIY projects now. Just make sure you won't change your mind about color or design and go for it. The main thing I wish I did ahead of time is not decor but rather signs for the wedding. I didn't realize I would need so many typed signs!  You need bar signs, program signs, menus, card box/gift signs, guestbook sign, etc. Definitely get ahead start on those if you can.
    Use Pinterest.com for your ideas. It definitely helped me out with pulling things together over the two years.

Also I agree with both the above posts, you should start researching your vendors now. Most of them book from 1-2 years away from your wedding date. This will give you time research reviews on them and shop around.

Go to wedding expo/shows. These gave me great deals on vendors as well as helped me with ideas of decor/DIY projects.

Good luck with your plans! It's a lot of fun when you wait since you get to enjoy the planning experience a little longer than most brides-  Especially if you're a crafty person!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CourtreCourtre member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I live in Lancaster, PA.  I have been trying to reach out to brides in the area to try and split costs of my wedding.  Like 50%, 50% on the vases, table numbers, etc.  we can look into it, BUT I am having a baroque themed wedding...  so style wise it's going to be different, but some things would be generic...  I get married in a year.
    Courtre@yahoo.com

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-central_2-years-to-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:107Discussion:03d3b941-6e1b-431c-a70e-1344520a05f3Post:60388ca0-4f79-4981-bbdb-a3bd5276f251">2 years to go...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have now been engaged for 2 weeks and my fiancé and I have been together for 4 1/2 years. I'm really excited to be engaged finally! We are high school sweethearts from Cocalico. We are waiting 2 more years to get married (our date is 06-14-14) because he is in college. I quit college early and now I just work full time. We are really excited that in the past two weeks we have already reserved our date at our chuch (where we met in second grade) and we and a venue picked out. I want to start doing small projects like decorations and stuff because our entire wedding is DIY. Our venue for our reception is a pond with a stone parking lot in the middle of the woods that is a 2 mile dirt road back to it. So there is litterally nothing there.... I have to do everything! There has never been a wedding reception in our loacation before! We are waiting for next thursday to find out if it's even possible to have it there (it has to get approved). Do you think it's okay that I start planning already and that I want to start working on small decorations? I really don't do well with stress so I'm thinking it would be better to start getting stuff done now and just be able to enjoy the last few months before my wedding rather than worry about getting stuff done.  P.S. If anyone would want to ever get together to work on DIY rustic country wedding stuff let me know, I don't have many friends outside of work and could use some haha.
    Posted by Felicia Arndt[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards