Arizona-Tucson

Wedding/Work Issues

My fiance and I have been together for 7 years and its about time we are getting married Wink. We decided to get married in January and just officially got engaged this month. I have worked at the same job for 6 years. I was so excited to tell my co-workers and boss that we were getting married. When I did , they acted like they didn't care. No one even congratulated me. I sent them a Save the Date, but do I have to invite them to the wedding?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Vacation

Re: Wedding/Work Issues

• edited December 2011
    Hi Rachelleblock,

First off, congratulations!!! I am so sorry to hear about your co-workers, such a downer for them to show no excitement or support for such an awesome event in your life.  Anyway,  I'm kind of having a hard time in the same general area. What I've gathered and decided is that if you don't spend time with your co-workers outside of work, if you're not really truly close with them then you shouldn't feel obligated to invite them....especially if they don't act like they care in the first place.  It may be kind of akwkward (sp?) if you do generally get along but if you have a number to work within you can always use that as your reason for not inviting them.  Good luck, I hope this helped!
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry ladies but sending them a Save the date means they are invited to the wedding...especially since you work with them I would want to avoid the akwardness of the no invite.

On a side note- that is kinda crappy that they showed no excitement. But not everyone will be excited as you are about the wedding...it is somethig that you kinda gotta get used to. GL!
    Wedding Planning Bio/Blog Here Updated as of 2/1/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice. Its hard because these people have been like family. I spend more time at work than I do at home Surprised. LOL. You would think that people would be happy.  I know I need to invite them, it is just disappointing. I am sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. None of us deserve that. We deserve to be happy and have people happy for us!!!

Where are you getting married?
  • edited December 2011
    I get what your saying. It is just unfortunate. So any advice for a new bride to be, since you are almost there???

Engagement party.... did you have one? How soon after you got engaged? Who hosted the party and who did you invite?

Sorry for all the questions, I just have no idea what to do...LOL
  • edited December 2011
    @rachelle.. I'm getting Married at the Z Mansion downtown. Not my first choice..it was a compromise between my FI and I. Don't get me wrong, it's great, I love it and they make planning so easy. I got most everything figured out, just worrying about small stuff more than anything right now. :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-tucson_weddingwork-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:60Discussion:33991e81-1274-4452-8a86-e84da73fd629Post:f8a0c0c4-80ef-4135-ba08-2fe8c7753416">Re: Wedding/Work Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get what your saying. It is just unfortunate. So any advice for a new bride to be, since you are almost there??? Engagement party.... did you have one? How soon after you got engaged? Who hosted the party and who did you invite? Sorry for all the questions, I just have no idea what to do...LOL
    Posted by rachelleblock[/QUOTE]

We had our engagement party 1 month after our actual engagement...and it was thrown for us by friends. We invited local family and friends and of course the wedding party. You invite who you want to have there. For us it was easier to just make clear cuts...local family and friends only! It was too much to ask of out of town people. HTH!
    Wedding Planning Bio/Blog Here Updated as of 2/1/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mimilauffmimilauff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, congratulations on your engagement.  My significant other (now fiance) of also seven years and I were formally engaged this month as well.  If I were you, I would not invite your co-workers even though you sent them a save the date notice.  This will be your special day, and you should enjoy it with those you feel comfortable with.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice. Congratulations to you! I hope your planning goes well for you! 

I am still torn; however, there is plenty of time to decide before we sent invites.
  • edited December 2011
    I opted to keep my announcement non-existant at work since my ex husband works in the same building as me andI did NOT want him to hear about it.  I did mention it to my boss since I needed to ask for time off for the wedding/honeymoon.  The only response I got was that I could take the time off but *only* if I had any vacation days left. I didn't exactly expect a "congrats", but it still would have been nice.

Somehow the people I work with found out about my engagement, and it is currently the gossip behind my back.  I'm choosing to not pay attention to it; I'm thrilled to be marrying such a wonderful man, and I won't let them get to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards