South Carolina-Charleston

Old Exchange Building

Hi, I am getting married in March & pretty much have all of my vendors set.  We are having our reception at the Charleston Yacht Club but really the only reason we booked it was b/c the price was so low since we are pretty much paying for the wedding ourselves.  My cousin was in town last weekend and my fiance and I took him on a tour of downtown.  We passed by the Old Exchange Building and my fiance said how awesome it would have been if we could have had our reception there.  I had seen a few people on this board that were having their reception there but I never really looked into it b/c I just assumed it would be really expensive.  When I got home I emailed the Exchange Building and found out it was not much more than the Yacht Club AND, amazingly, was still available for my date.  So now I don't know which place to have the reception.  The great thing about the Yacht Club was that the tables w/ linens and chairs were included in the rental price.  But on the other hand, my fiance is a huge southern history buff so the Exchange Building is like a dream for him.  Plus, the location is awesome!  BUT if we have it at the Exchange Building we'll have to rent everything.  If anyone has had their reception at the Exchange Building, could you tell me if you loved it/hated it, pros/cons, etc?  I would LOVE to see pictures of any receptions that were held there.  Sorry for the long post!!

Re: Old Exchange Building

• edited December 2011
    I have not had my reception yet but am booked for there as well for next May. Pros that I already have are that my guests are excited about the ability to go somewhere historic and the walking distance downtown. So out of town guests do not have to worry about driving and can enjoy their evening more easily.
  • edited December 2011
    I've never been to the Old Exchange but have been to a rehearsal dinner at the yacht club.Your guests also have to pay for parking at the Yacht Club, right?  If you would pay for their parking does that make up the difference in cost?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    If you cancel your date at the yacht club will you have to pay a penalty or lose a deposit? The Exchange Bldg is very pretty, I went to a wedding there a couple years ago.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your responses!  We talked it over last night and decided to just go for it and do it at the Exchange Building.  I called the Charleston Yacht Club today and we will get our full deposit back.  Yay!  We're excited!!
  • edited December 2011
    My husband and I just got married and had our reception at the Old Exchange Building..and LOVED it.  Not only did we love it, but our guests are still talking about what a unique venue it was.  You made such a great choice in your decision!I have pictures available--just email me at MandyMOwens@gmail.com. :-) 
  • edited December 2011
    We toured the building this weekend and also fell in love with it but our concern is that it would be too small for 125-130 people since we want to have a sit down dinner and have a dance floor as well. How many people do you expect at your reception?
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing about 100 but not with sit down dinner.... Could probably fit but might be tight...And no way you could do it if you have a band since that takes up a lot more room....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards