Pennsylvania-Central

day after get together-good or bad?

Hi everyone!  I need some advice.  I'm getting married at the Civic Club of Harrisburg in october.  We were originally going to be inviting 98 people but then due to a death in the family, I ended up spending time with other family members that I wasn't planning on inviting and the wedding was brought up and all of a sudden, our guest list was up to 118.  The Civic Club is not a large venue and 118 is pushing it.  I'm at the point where I actually hope that some people won't be able to make it! I know, that's terrible.  The thing is, I have this huge italian family.  We are inviting my first cousins and my fathers first cousins as well as my great aunts and uncles, and of course friends and super close family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc).  I feel weird about this considering the generation that I have to invite is my dads generation when I would really rather be inviting my generation(my 2nd cousins). However, it's too late now.  My question is this: Do you think it would be a good idea to have some sort of brunch/lunch/get together for apps and drinks somewhere the day after the wedding?(the wedding is on a friday)  This get together would be for our parents, immediate family, plus those members of my family that won't be invited but that I would still love to see.  Is this common?  Would those people get offended that they weren't invited to the wedding but just to a day after get together? (keep in mind that I'm probably blowing this way out of proportion and none of them will actually be offended..I hope)  If I do set up a get together, what would I say and what should the details be, i.e, who pays, where, etc..

Sorry for rambling..thanks to anyone who can help me out! =]

Re: day after get together-good or bad?

• edited December 2011
    It's a shame that the club doesn't hold all the guests, because yes, I think they'd be offended.  With that said, they say you only get 80% of guests to come to your wedding that you invite, so maybe your numbers will be low enough that you can invite them.  You could have the new 20 people on the "b list" and see how your rsvps go, and if the numbers are low, invite the other 20.
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had an evening bonfire for my daughter and SIL's friends, then a next-day brunch for out-of-town family, bridal party, family and close friends.  Some of my daughter's friends that couldn't make it to the wedding came to the brunch, which was nice.   The couple opened their gifts, we ate leftover wedding cake, took lots of pics...it was fun.

Just be honest with your family- your venue cannot accomodate everyone, but you would really like to have them be a part of the celebration weekend, then invite them to the day-after brunch. :)   They may not be as offended as you think.
  • edited December 2011
    Sadly, not knowing your extended family, I would say "no". I would be slightly offended if I were invited to the day after affair, but not the wedding no matter how much I loved my family member. In this instance, I agree with the "B" list option that mb2712 suggested. Good luck!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards