South Carolina-Charleston

wedding venues

Hey all!I'm new to the board...I know you guys have mentioned a couple of these venues in previous posts but I havent heard too much about some of them. I would really appreciate any feedback on any of them including price range and personal experiences. I am considering trying to have the ceremony and reception at the same location.I am thinking of looking at the following places:Lowndes GroveThe Citadel Beach ClubThe Charleston MarinaAlhambra HallCreek Club at I'OnThomas Bennett HouseMagnolia PlantationFrances Marion HotelThanks so much!Lexie

Re: wedding venues

• cougarettecougarette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Alhambra Hall. The price for Mt. Pleasant residents is $2000, and $3000 for non residents. It's one of the cheapest I could find (I'm in Mt. P). They provide tables and chairs, and I like that we can bring in our own caterers, bar, etc. That way we don't have to worry about minimums or whatever. I like the big, rustic space upstairs and the huge wrap-around verandah. We're getting married outside by the oak tree. We went to a wedding earlier this year at the cottage house at Magnolia Plantation. The ceremony was outside and the reception was inside. There's a big patio right outside and the inside is big too. Their price varies based on day of the week, time of the year, and whether it's daytime or evening. They say Carolina Catering is their proferred caterer, but the wedding we went to used a different company.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    All of those places are beautiful, I have personally visited each of them. Lowndes Grove- $6000Citadel Beach Club -$4000 (unless you have a connection to someone at the Citadel)Creek Club- $6000 I believe.Magnolia varies on when and where you are having the wedding. They have several different areas available. The down side to the Citadel Beach Club that I learned about, is that ALL Citadel Alumni have access to the beach house. That means, if one of them happens to be at the beach while your wedding is going on, they are still allowed to use the bathrooms there and use the parking. While most of them respect that your wedding is going on and won't disturb you, it is still a huge risk.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my ceremony and reception at the Gibbes Museum of Art. It is a small museum in downtown Charleston just a few blocks from the market and right next to the Mills House Hotel. We are going to have the ceremony and cocktail hour indoors and then the reception in the gorgeous courtyard tucked in the back. I think it is one of the less talked about venues in Charleston because most people want beach, plantation or mansion weddings (all gorgeous) but this really suits us. Our total rental fee is about $5K. I have been to a wedding at the Creek Club not long ago and it was completely gorgeous. It is a great facility and a really nice place to have both the ceremony and reception.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having both my wedding and reception at the Legare-Waring House, prices vary according to day of the week and time of the year. My wedding isn't until next year, but I love the coordinator out there, Julianne, and would highly recommend the venue. I know it isn't on your list, but I thought I would just throw it out there, and I'm happy to tell you more if you are interested. Magnolia Plantation was actually our second choice, we were thinking of the Carriage House and lawn. We really liked the space, it had most of the things we wanted on our list. The only drawbacks for us were limited space for the bride to get ready, and there was no space for the groom. Plus the majority of our guests will be coming in from out-of-town, and the proximity of the plantation to hotels was a concern of ours. As for the others, I didn't check out all of the ones on your list. However I do remember checking out the Thomas Bennett House, which is lovely, and if I remember correctly all events must end by 10pm. Congratulations, and good luck with your search!
  • hatchjdhatchjd member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been checking with Francis Marion Hotel for my daughter's wedding. The will wave the room if you spend$5K (before taxes and gratuity)  in food and alcohol. Room fes vary from $6-8K depending on numers. They do not have a dedicated ceremony area but will set up for the ceremony  then rearrange for the reception. Janice
  • lexiesmileslexiesmiles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all our your great info, please keep it coming! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards