South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Charleston Welcome Baskets

We are getting married in Charleston next April.  It is a destination wedding.  A majority of our guests will be coming from out of state as well.  I would love to do welcome baskets with some Charleston type things for our guests.  Does anyone have any ideas of things that could be included besides maps/magazines from Charleston?
Thank you!

Re: Charleston Welcome Baskets

• Options
    edited December 2011
    sweet grass roses (also called palmetto roses) benne wafers spiced pecans coffee travel brochures for restaurants and things to do in the area I suggest some spots on the market like Savannah Candy Kitchen or Market Street Munchies for the benne wafers. They're SOOOOO good and very distinctly Charleston.
  • Options
    melmcbridemelmcbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also - I'd add the 4" mini Old Fashioned Pecan Pies that Wal-Mart sells.  I believe they are made by Table Talk Pies and are around 60 cents each.  Tasty & super Southern.  The packaging looks like a local baker, not a big box store.

Depending on your budget, you could add a Lowcountry Cookbook or at least print on cardstock some of your favorite Charleston recipes.

AND - America's only Tea Plantation is the Charleston Tea Plantation.  Maybe a couple of gift packs with a cute note saying just add water & sugar.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for your suggestions!!!
  • Options
    brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get tons of brochures and maps from the Visitor's Center or have the hotel where your out of town guests are staying to pull tourism brochures and rack cards from their lobby for your bags when you deliver them there.
    Southern Pralines are a great idea to add as well - try Market Street Munchies or Sweet Julep's.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Brink55Brink55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also add some local grits and Charleston Chews are very cheap and cute too!
  • Options
    deployedbridedeployedbride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

-You can make your own benne wafers....instead of buying if you will have a kitchen...i think the benne wafers they sell are ridiculously overpriced
    -1 bottle of sweet tea vodka or 2 bottles palmetto ail
    -If you like Jack;s Cosmic Dogs, they have sweet potato mustard that's pretty awesome.
    - If you want sweetgrass roses, don't buy d-town, they are overpriced there
    -You could also do seeds of some plant like azaleas, magnolias, etc.
    -mini palmetto flags are cute...maybe on coozies
    -tea towel with a palmetto on it.
    -The Charleston Tea place also bottles tea so you could try that instead of the bags.

-If you are going to be there whle the farmers market is in full swing...they have artisans and farmers with cool things...stuff I saw this weekend...

1. vinyl window stickies that have the palmetto flag on it

2. jars of pickled okra or tomato jam or scuppernong wine, etc
    3. tea towels that were block pressed with southern sayings
    4. Peaches are delicious in season...depends on when your wedding is

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!  Thank you!  I apprecaite all of your wonderful suggestions!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards