South Carolina-Charleston

Smythe Park & Charleston Duo

Hey, ladies-

Has anyone ever been to a wedding or had their wedding at Smythe Park on Daniel Island?  That's where my boyfriend...eek!  I mean fiance & I got engaged so I would like to at least look into possibly having our wedding there.  I know it can be done because I've seen pictures of it on a photographer's website, but I couldn't find any info online.  Also, has anyone ever used the Charleston Duo for their prelude music & cocktail hour?  If yes, do you mind if I ask how much the tab ran you?  I have fallen in love with their music, but we are on a SUPER tight budget, so I don't want to get my hopes up if they aren't a possibility.  I asked them for a quote, but they told me they couldn't give me one without knowing where the venue was. 

Thanks so much and I will greatly appreciate all responses!!!
My Food Blog: Slim Pickin's Kitchen Our Wedding Website Photobucket Anniversary Daisypath Halloween tickers BabyFruit Ticker BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 BFP #2: 2/16/13...Please, baby, please be a sticky *fingers crossed*

Re: Smythe Park & Charleston Duo

• edited December 2011
    We have a violin/cello duo for our ceremony from Palmetto Strings. While it's not the same company, the prices may be similar. They charge $400. We got a quote from another company too - I can't remember but I think it was Classical Charleston - and it was $500. Our wedding is also on a Monday (columbus day), so I'm not sure if the price would be the same on a weekend, but hopefully that might help give you a ballpark figure to expect...
  • SCJess85SCJess85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in Smythe Park on September 5th! You need to contact Jennifer Carrigan. Her email is jennifer.carrigan@dicommunity.org. There is only a $100 application fee and then a refundable security deposit that depends on the size and type of your event. Jennifer will give you all of the information you need. It is such a beautiful park. We are getting married on the island under the trees. Is that the same area you were thinking about? We are just having our ceremony there. Were you thinking of just ceremony or ceremony and reception?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh, and do you remember what photographer's website you saw those pics on? I would love to see them!
  • edited December 2011
    OMG, SCJess85, thank you soooooo much!!!!! We adore Smythe Park too and since I live on DI (and considering that's where we got engaged) we just thought it would be awesome to see if holding the wedding there would be a possibility!!!  I really appreciate your response b/c I've looked EVERYWHERE for information!  I would like to see if we can have both the wedding & the reception there, but that all depends on the cost & if we will be able to serve alcohol.  Do you know anything about the specifics like that?  How big is your wedding going to be? 

Thanks again!! You are a lifesaver!!!
    My Food Blog: Slim Pickin's Kitchen Our Wedding Website Photobucket Anniversary Daisypath Halloween tickers BabyFruit Ticker BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 BFP #2: 2/16/13...Please, baby, please be a sticky *fingers crossed*
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, the pics were by my friend Valerie at Richard Bell Photography. 

http://richardbellphotography.wordpress.com/2009/09/
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're very welcome!! I'm glad I could help!! I love that park too!! I am a Nanny for a family that lives on Beekman, right behind Smythe Park. I don't know any specifics about reception information. We are only having our ceremony there and we are having about 140 people. We are having our reception downtown at the Charleston Yacht Club, which was also very affordable. If you email Jennifer I am sure she can answer any other questions you may have. When is your wedding date?
  • edited December 2011
    I emailed Jennifer and got the application from her.  If you don't mind me asking, how much were the security deposits?  I'm just trying to plan accordingly b/c if they aren't too crazy then we will be able to spend more on our caterers now.  I was worried about that before, but if our venue is super inexpensive then we can use the money on the food!  Our wedding is going to be around 175 people and will hopefully be October 29, 2011.  Did you hire a planner or are you doing most of it yourself?  Where are you planning on going for the honeymoon?  We want to go to Greece!!! :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing alll of the planning myself!!! I am about to go crazy! The wedding is 2 months away and I am feeling overwhelmed! I believe the security deposits vary based on the type and size of the event. Since we are just doing the ceremony there and we arent having any alcohol, or tents or anything like that our security deposit was $500, but they dont deposit the check they just hold it in case you make a mess of the park or something. Anyways, we are going on a cruise for our honeymoon to Jamaica and Grand Cayman Islands leaving from Miami!! At this point, I'm just really looking forward to that first margarita on the cruise! lol.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank You JESS for Jennifer's information!!! Soooo Happy!
    Scamber....Valerie is not only my friend, but also my neighbor!
    As soon as I can get a place nailed down, everything will fall in to place...

As an corporate event planner...all I have to say is DELEGATE....and be specific with what you are expecting.  You have to enjoy your day and if you make yourself crazy with the little details,you'll miss out on a very important and FUN day!!!

Alexandra
  • MellandNateMellandNate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Valerie did photos of a wedding at Smythe Park last year... here is the link: http://www.charlestonwedding.com/#/hicks/
  • edited December 2011

Thanks, Mell Bell!!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards