South Carolina-Charleston

help! Should I change my date :(

Hi Girls!
So I haven't been on in awhile ...but getting excited about my wedding which is planned for March 28th on Isle of Palm. I live in Chicago and FI and I just left Charleston to finish planning everything and meet with all the vendors.  In talking with our vendors no one has ever mentioned that this is a huge weekend! The Cooper River Bridge Run!!!!  Hotels are either sold out or very expensive....$215 for a Hampton INN...
Can't even find a place for the rehearsal dinner. So I am actually wondering if I should change the date??? I really hate even thinking about it....save the dates are sent...vendors are locked in...honeymoon is even booked. I'm just nervous we won't have any guest.

Thoughts?

Re: help! Should I change my date :(

• cougarettecougarette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hmm, this is tough.  March 28 is my date too and it's something I've worried about.  Luckily most of our guests are in town, and the few that aren't can easily stay with family.  I've been chatting with people who are booked on the cruise we're taking for our honeymoon and they weren't happy to hear about the race.

Have you considered maybe blocking rooms away from Mt. Pleasant & downtown?  How about North Charleston, Goose Creek, or even Summerville?  I'm not sure where your wedding is, but even Summerville is only about 30 minutes from downtown.  Maybe if you call now you can still get a decent price at area hotels.

Consider how much it will cost in lost deposits (assuming you can't just move the date with the vendors and still keep the deposit).  I think it could still work, but maybe start by calling the hotels and if it's still too pricey call your booked vendors and see if you can just change the date.  Good luck!

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011

Our wedding is the Sunday of Spoleto kickoff weekend, so we knew we were going to have to set up hotel room blocks early on.  You may be hard pressed to get a group rate so close to your date.  I agree though, about trying hotels outside of downtown.  To make sure guests don't feel "out of the loop," maybe you could schedule an activity during the wedding weekend that's close to the hotel(s).  For example, if you have a hotel block in West Ashley you could have everyone come to Charlestowne Landing or Middleton Place for tours one morning.

• edited December 2011

At this point I don't think it's feasible to change your date.  As you said, everything is already booked, if STDs have been sent then people may have already made their travel arrangments.  PPs gave you some good idea, sorry about not knowing to plan around the Bridge Run!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • tiffanyloneytiffanyloney member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies! I think everything is worked out. I have a room block at the Wild dunes resort where we are getting married for a very good rate and then I was able to get a block at the new Holiday Inn express in mount Pleasant for a GREAT rate. It is coming up on line for $219, however she is holding a block of 20 for $99.
    My parents are going to rent a house on the resort and we will just hold the rehearsal dinner there.
    I sent an email to about 75% of my guest to inform them prior to sending out inviations. YEAH...think it will be fine. As you said...there is always north charleston!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards