South Carolina-Charleston
Options

"Selling" A Contract/Date for Venue???

I have already booked our venue for our October 2011 wedding.  The problem is, I think I rushed in too soon because I was worried I was going to lose it, so we booked it as soon as we could.  Then, of course, all these unavoidable extra costs started piling up, and we are ending up paying about $1,000 more than originally expected.  I can cancel my contract; however, I would only receive back 1/3 of our deposit which would make us end up losing $500.  The reason I'm considering a change, is because I found another venue for exactly the same price that includes some added amenities that I couldn't dream of getting from our current venue.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of "selling" a contract to another bride in order to avoid losing the deposit?  I'm not sure if it's possible, but my mom mentioned it to me, and I figured it couldn't hurt to get some advice!

Thanks, ladies!!!

My Food Blog: Slim Pickin's Kitchen Our Wedding Website Photobucket Anniversary Daisypath Halloween tickers BabyFruit Ticker BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 BFP #2: 2/16/13...Please, baby, please be a sticky *fingers crossed*

Re: "Selling" A Contract/Date for Venue???

• Options
    2005sylvia2005sylvia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if that is possible...I would look at your contract from the venue and see if there is any recourse if you find a replacememnt or you could ask them directly and see what they have to say.  That stinks, I'm sorry that you are going through this.  Hopefully,  it will all work out!
  • Options
    acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like the second one and it's the same price...I'd go with that!  You may lose the 500....but at least you could make sure there weren't any other hidden fees before signing the contract! 
  • Options
    MellandNateMellandNate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of the time deposits are non refundable no matter what. Good luck to you
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At my venue they will return the deposit only after they sold it to another bride and only after the event actually happened.  Then again, since your event is a year out, they may give you a break.

Good luck!
    A
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards