South Carolina-Charleston
Options

stressed!

we are planning to get married in Charleston next October but I'm stumped on where to have it.  First off, I'm from Charleston but planning it from NY and we want the ceremony & reception at the same venue or somewhere very close by.  we are working on a limited budget ($10,000) and will being doing some diy projects.  Luckily, the wedding is going to be small (50 guests) we were thinking Old Santee Canal Park but just not sure about it.....Any advice for other venues? 
THANKS!!!!

Re: stressed!

• Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Old Santee Canal Park is a beautiful location. I attended a wedding there was and it was awesome. The Aquarium is a great location as well, but they might be a little pricey.
  • Options
    katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've heard great things about Wickliffe House, which is in downtown.
  • Options
    ls23clemsonls23clemson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a reception at the Thomas Bennett house and it was beautiful. It was during the summer (and outside) though so it was extremely hot but if your wedding is in October then you should be more than fine. I'm not sure what their price is, but it's worth looking at.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You have all the plantations in the area to consider as well.... Magnolia, Boone Hall, Dryaton Hall... but I've always heard good things about the canal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Chaunte' & Dave
    May 21,2011
    Life As A Newlywed
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WE LOVE LOVE LOVE MIKE WINSHIP AND WANT TO ADOPT HIM!
    CHARLESTON MOST AFFORDABLE WEDDING PLANNER
    www.winshipproductions.com/" target="_blank">www.Winshipproductions.com
    WinshipProductionsSlideshow.wmv
    www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001082493079#!/pages/Winship-Productions/109107415801225" target="_blank">Please become a Fan on Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also planning a destination wedding from DC in Charleston in May on a tight budget. We picked the Creek Club at Ion for our ceremony and reception.  It's right outside of Charleston and they cater the food and their prices seem very reasonable.  Here is the website: http://www.ioncreekclub.com/site/

I am going there Jan. 14 and we are doing our site visit and tasting.  If you want me to follow up after just let me know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I  also live in the DC area and I am planning a wedding in Charleston. All the places everyone mentioned are awesome. We had some luck with the Doubletree in Church Street.

Just a thought :)

Happy Planning.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks so much for all the great advice!! (at mmccluskey) I would love to hear how y9our site visit and tasting went.  I've been researching online and another place that is a possibility is the Gatherings in Dorchester.  Wondering if anyone has any opinions of it?  Also, my fiance just found out he will not know until April if he is able to take vacation to even have our wedding. He works in a factory & sometimes they shut down so he would lose his vacation time :( I would like to book Old Santee but would have to put half down, and it's non-refundable and I have called and explained the situation to them.  THANKS AGAIN Y'all!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may have already booked your venue, but I wanted to get back to you.  We are almost a month away from the wedding and so far everything with the Creek Club has been great.  The place is beautiful and in a gorgeous neighborhood.  We also did our tasting when we were down there and were able to practically taste everything on the menu and the owner joined us for the tasting so we were able to ask him a bunch of questions. Good luck with the planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks...yes we have booked a venue. we are having our wedding & reception at the gatherings of dorchester.  We were going to use old santee canal state park but they didn't have the date we wanted.  Things are going better & not so "stressed" now that I have a venue just taking things one at a time.  Good luck to you too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards