South Carolina-Charleston

Wickliffe House vs. River House at Lowndes Grove

I've been looking at two different venues for my wedding. The Wickliffe House and the River House at Lowndes Grove. Does anyone have any advice or reviews for either of them. I love them both, but probably like the River House a little more, but it's also more expensive! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Re: Wickliffe House vs. River House at Lowndes Grove

• nfguthrienfguthrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I responded to your post on the SC board--I think River House may be way more expensive than Wickliffe. 

• julierose66julierose66 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thank you. I think I noticed that you're having your wedding at Wickliffe, or did you have it already? Have you had good experiences. (Sorry for all of the duplicate posts! I keep getting confused with these! Undecided)
  • Allen+SmithAllen+Smith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not using the River House, but I can attest to the catering by Fish through Patrick Properties (it is required to use Fish if renting out Lowndes Grove, or any of their properties). Their food is just beyond amazing. And the presentation is almost as great as the taste! 

I don't know how Wickliffe is price-wise, but PatProp events can get pretty costly. The River House at LG is (I believe) their least expensive, and since it can accommodate such a smaller amount of people, it won't be as pricey as the full house at LG. 

One thing to note, if you rent out the River House, it is possible that somebody else will rent the main house at LG for the same time & day. They do not require that events at these two not overlap- and the back lawns on both are SO close to each other. That was the big draw back for me when I visited the property :( 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • julierose66julierose66 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think i've decided that the River House is too expensive for me, because of all of the additional costs. I really do love the feel of it, but I just don't think I can justify the cost. Where did you decide to have your wedding?
  • DRibeiro13DRibeiro13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We also were thinking about Lowndes Grove but it was a little too costly for us also...we actually decided on the Governor Thomas Bennett House instead.
  • jenlc527jenlc527 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i LOVE the river house, but yes it can be more expensive than WH.  other great venues in charleston are the Legare Waring House, The Confederate Home and Thomas Bennett for low country houses on a smaller budget.  I'ON Creek Club is on the water but recently changed their catering requirements so i am not 100% on their costs...

Patrick Properties is AMAZING and Fish is to die for!! depending on the time of year you are looking at also dictates cost. hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    @jenic527: do any of those venues have linens and all that included? a bunch that ive been looking at dont include anything so whats a few hundred dollars more to get married at the river house?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards