South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Venue List Help

So we've narrowed down our venue list - I would appreciate if you girls could look it over and see if we're missing anything in the same vein!

Wickliffe House
William Aiken House
Francis Marion Hotel
Rice Mill Building

We'd like something indoor/outdoor (decided to move the date UP :) to the springtime) and need to fit roughly 125-150 people.

Y'all always have some good advice, thanks in advance!

Re: Venue List Help

• Options
    I think the William Aiken House or the Rice Mill Building would be great! :)

Good Luck!!

What's your new date??
  • Options
    There is also the Thomas Bennett House which is along the lines of the places you listed.  If you want a spring date at any of those places you will need to book far in advance, like +1 year. 
  • Options
    I looked at all these places for mine as well so let me know if you haave any questions. I ended up going with Thomas Bennett House even though WIlliam Aiken  was my favorite because even though Bennett House has a higher rental fee its still cheaper because you bring in your own cater and bar. There's really no way to do William Aiken House under $40,000 on a Saturday.

Rice Mill will be kind of cramped with that many people and everyone can't really sit together because its separate rooms.

I didn't like the look of the Wickliffe house from front and for pictures.
  • Options
    Sarah at WAH gave me examples of a wedding recently that was trying to stay at $30000 and its really not possible with the tax and service on the food and beverage minimum. email me at mullinscmu@msn.com if you want me to send you the breakdown
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, thanks girls!

Our new date (fingers crossed) is March 28, 2014 - so we should still have plenty of time.

William Aiken is kind of a stretch, budget wise, but I thought I would still look. Although, Amber has not responded to emails within 3 days the past 2 or 3 that I've sent, so that's already turning me off. Have been trying to schedule a visit for almost 2 weeks! 

Thanks for the Thomas Bennett House heads-up, I didn't even think of it that way! Maybe I'll trade that out for WAH, it is totally gorgeous!

I currently have visits set up at the other 3 venues, if Amber from WAH doesn't get back to me in the next couple days I will probably just scrap it anyway. 
  • Options
    Hi Liz!  My daughter just had her wedding at WAH in August...email me if you have any questions..  pattrz@aol.com

My older daughter had her reception at Alhambra Hall in Mt. Pleasant.  It was lovely and more affordable! 
  • Options
    I am getting married next month at the Wickliffe House.   We loved it.  We are getting married outside (yes in December) and will be having our reception inside.   There is plenty of room on the lawn and inside to host more than 150 people.   I looked at the others you suggested but Wickliffe was my favorite.  
  • Options
    Mlkfranklin, I am also considering Wickliffe House for ceremony and reception but heard it is a little bit out of the way downtown. Are you planning on shuttling your guests? Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:58fa89b3-a3ba-4a35-a35a-fac26ceb7da8">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married next month at the Wickliffe House.   We loved it.  We are getting married outside (yes in December) and will be having our reception inside.   There is plenty of room on the lawn and inside to host more than 150 people.   I looked at the others you suggested but Wickliffe was my favorite.  
    Posted by mlfranklin75[/QUOTE]

<div>I think Wickliffe is probably the front runner at this point, are you working with Jeri?</div>
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:e3e27521-64c5-496f-b39e-ed71ac9182ca">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my goodness, thanks girls! Our new date (fingers crossed) is March 28, 2014 - so we should still have plenty of time. William Aiken is kind of a stretch, budget wise, but I thought I would still look. Although, Amber has not responded to emails within 3 days the past 2 or 3 that I've sent, so that's already turning me off. Have been trying to schedule a visit for almost 2 weeks!  Thanks for the Thomas Bennett House heads-up, I didn't even think of it that way! Maybe I'll trade that out for WAH, it is totally gorgeous! I currently have visits set up at the other 3 venues, if Amber from WAH doesn't get back to me in the next couple days I will probably just scrap it anyway. 
    Posted by lizlovescupcakes[/QUOTE]

If you do William Aiken House on Friday like I did there is no Food and Bev minimum. Wckliffe would be kind of cramped for that many people I think if you want them in the same place. I felt it was too small for my 90-100 people. Parking may also be a problem.
     Amber from The William Aiken House is amazing by the way but she is fielding calls and doing tours of properties and doing tastings so occassionally it took her a few days to get back. If you need immediate answers you can always call their office. If you are looking for Spring Dates I would book very very soon. We booked 1.5yrs out and our month was booked by the end of the week we booked.

Edit: Just saw your new date so you have time.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:c93a618a-2a54-4315-b0d2-d58d4f890d2c">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue List Help : If you do William Aiken House on Friday like I did there is no Food and Bev minimum. Wckliffe would be kind of cramped for that many people I think if you want them in the same place. I felt it was too small for my 90-100 people. Parking may also be a problem.  Amber from The William Aiken House is amazing by the way but she is fielding calls and doing tours of properties and doing tastings so occassionally it took her a few days to get back. If you need immediate answers you can always call their office. If you are looking for Spring Dates I would book very very soon. We booked 1.5yrs out and our month was booked by the end of the week we booked. Edit: Just saw your new date so you have time.
    Posted by Scaponigro[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the info! Amber did get back to me, so we're still going to go look at the venue. We will be doing a Friday evening, so that's good to know.</div><div>
    </div><div>When you say the Wickliffe was cramped if you want everyone in the same place what did you mean? I guess I'll figure it out soon enough!

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:58fa89b3-a3ba-4a35-a35a-fac26ceb7da8">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married next month at the Wickliffe House.   We loved it.  We are getting married outside (yes in December) and will be having our reception inside.   There is plenty of room on the lawn and inside to host more than 150 people.   I looked at the others you suggested but Wickliffe was my favorite.  
    Posted by mlfranklin75[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks! Wickliffe House is my favorite I think atmosphere-wise, but I guess we'll see :)
    Do you have room for a dance floor with that many people or no?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    kballancekballance member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:1b89eb61-f354-42b0-ac78-4fdc48e6efa9">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue List Help : Thanks for the info! Amber did get back to me, so we're still going to go look at the venue. We will be doing a Friday evening, so that's good to know. When you say the Wickliffe was cramped if you want everyone in the same place what did you mean? I guess I'll figure it out soon enough!
    Posted by lizlovescupcakes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think the Wickliffe house is gorgeous and has a great atmosphere! It is right next to the med school (MUSC) downtown. Parking may be an issue but I'm not sure if you would need to shuttle people there, it isn't too far out of the way. Just make sure to go check it out in person... My mom went to a few places for me this fall and said that the Wickliffe house could use a few pick-me-ups right now with the paint, etc. (This could be fixed before your date though if not already). Also, if your reception is in the evening, make sure you know about their noise ordinances for music and rules for what you can and cannot have on the grounds/in the house since they are a historic home venue.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'll be touring some venues in two weeks (although not Wickliffe) and will probably have my list more narrowed down after that. I'll let you know! Good luck!

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:b7a84c8e-8c7d-4c56-aa2f-2ce0d6ff9bcb">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue List Help : Hi, thanks! Wickliffe House is my favorite I think atmosphere-wise, but I guess we'll see :) Do you have room for a dance floor with that many people or no? Thanks!

The Wickliffe is beautiful from what I remember when I visited. The entrance is really pretty but I felt like the dining hall was narrow and the outdoor space was narrow and combined with the parking concerns(not in the budget nor did I want to coordinate shuttling people in and out) it was just not for me. That being said I have seen amazing photos from weddings there. Good luck on your visits. If you are anything like me you will be completely overwhlemed with how many beautiful places there are to chose. We visited 10! in one day.

My planners favorite pics from our wedding at William Aiken are here if you want to peak.
    <a href="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151151917683062.446626.350288033061&type=1" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151151917683062.446626.350288033061&type=1</a>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:ab1210fe-1f00-43c6-b122-286589889b7c">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue List Help : The Wickliffe is beautiful from what I remember when I visited. The entrance is really pretty but I felt like the dining hall was narrow and the outdoor space was narrow and combined with the parking concerns(not in the budget nor did I want to coordinate shuttling people in and out) it was just not for me. That being said I have seen amazing photos from weddings there. Good luck on your visits. If you are anything like me you will be completely overwhlemed with how many beautiful places there are to chose. We visited 10! in one day. My planners favorite pics from our wedding at William Aiken are here if you want to peak. <a href="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151151917683062.446626.350288033061&type=1" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151151917683062.446626.350288033061&type=1</a>
    Posted by Scaponigro[/QUOTE]

<div>Omigoodness, I feel like such a creep! I follow her on Facebook, we are meeting with her in a couple weeks, so I clicked through to your link, and went, "Why have I seen these before?" Absolutely gorgeous, everything :) </div><div>
    </div><div>What were your 10? FH would never go for that many visits...</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:9ff799bf-50a0-4877-bbb6-4db1fd37758a">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue List Help : I think the Wickliffe house is gorgeous and has a great atmosphere! It is right next to the med school (MUSC) downtown. Parking may be an issue but I'm not sure if you would need to shuttle people there, it isn't too far out of the way. Just make sure to go check it out in person... My mom went to a few places for me this fall and said that the Wickliffe house could use a few pick-me-ups right now with the paint, etc. (This could be fixed before your date though if not already). Also, if your reception is in the evening, make sure you know about their noise ordinances for music and rules for what you can and cannot have on the grounds/in the house since they are a historic home venue. I'll be touring some venues in two weeks (although not Wickliffe) and will probably have my list more narrowed down after that. I'll let you know! Good luck!
    Posted by kballance[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'll be there in about 2 weeks too! We probably won't be able to see Wickliffe or Rice Mill, since they'll be closed, and FH absolutely has to be back on the 2nd :(</div><div>
    </div><div>Can't wait to hear how yours go, feel free to message me! :)

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:f6b5688b-99c1-4c6f-8a3d-ce8df6ea5bb9">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue List Help : Omigoodness, I feel like such a creep! I follow her on Facebook, we are meeting with her in a couple weeks, so I clicked through to your link, and went, "Why have I seen these before?" Absolutely gorgeous, everything :)  What were your 10? FH would never go for that many visits...

<div>
    </div><div>Amanda is really incredible and probably the most affordable. As a week of planner she checks in once a month with you in the first week of each month from the moment you hire her. She picks up all your wedding items a day or two before the wedding. You can call or email her whenever you would like to if you have questions and she knows just about anything you need to know. She is not a "yes" person just to please you. She is honest and down to earth and I really can not say enough wonderful things about her.  She will tell you whats important and what is really not something to worry with.</div><div>
    </div><div>Let's see we visited: (My parents live in Charleston but I was an out of town bride too)</div><div>
    </div><div>The Battery</div><div>The Charleston Society Hall</div><div>The Provost Dungeon Ball room</div><div>The Mills House Hotel</div><div>The Old Rice Mill</div><div>Lowndes Grove</div><div>The William Aiken House</div><div>The Wickliffe House</div><div>Daniel Island Club</div><div>Magnolia Plantation ( all three locations on site)</div><div>
    </div><div>I learned a lot about Charleston wedding related things,  If you ever have any questions feel free to ask. </div><div>
    </div><div>Haha I don't know you but I am so excited for all the Charleston brides. It is a magical place.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:7d417080-3e99-4b23-be99-a65f1ef8f0c4">Re: Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue List Help : Amanda is really incredible and probably the most affordable. As a week of planner she checks in once a month with you in the first week of each month from the moment you hire her. She picks up all your wedding items a day or two before the wedding. You can call or email her whenever you would like to if you have questions and she knows just about anything you need to know. She is not a "yes" person just to please you. She is honest and down to earth and I really can not say enough wonderful things about her.  She will tell you whats important and what is really not something to worry with. Let's see we visited: (My parents live in Charleston but I was an out of town bride too) The Battery The Charleston Society Hall The Provost Dungeon Ball room The Mills House Hotel The Old Rice Mill Lowndes Grove The William Aiken House The Wickliffe House Daniel Island Club Magnolia Plantation ( all three locations on site) I learned a lot about Charleston wedding related things,  If you ever have any questions feel free to ask.  Haha I don't know you but I am so excited for all the Charleston brides. It is a magical place.
    Posted by Scaponigro[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you! </div><div>
    </div><div>I'll be sure to ask you about your experiences, and I'm super excited too! I'm out of town, but his parents are in Charleston, and I hate to bother them with anything, but I'm sure eventually that'll become a forgone conclusion.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the info on Amanda, I'm meeting with her and Blue Planet Green Events in a couple of weeks, and they will be around the same cost-wise, so it'll just depend on the meetings I guess.

</div>
  • Options
    My vote is for the historic rice mill it is sooo pretty! We are having our reception there and are sooo excited! Also of you are worried about budget try getting a better price on Sunday or even a weekday. Also love Amanda she is our wedding planner too and she is super nice, honest, quick to respond and on it she checks in and makes sure I am on task and on track lol
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_venue-list-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:9e4858eb-6712-471b-b67f-a48ac90ac6f1Post:e3befa50-ecb1-4f35-ac7a-8268b60d4eaf">Re:Venue List Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]My vote is for the historic rice mill it is sooo pretty! We are having our reception there and are sooo excited! Also of you are worried about budget try getting a better price on Sunday or even a weekday. Also love Amanda she is our wedding planner too and she is super nice, honest, quick to respond and on it she checks in and makes sure I am on task and on track lol
    Posted by JOESBRIDECHARLESTON[/QUOTE]

<div>We loved Amanda as well, but ended up going with Blue Planet Green Events. Luckily (but unfortunately) we're going to have to move our date back about 6 months, so we've got loads more time to do venue research.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards