South Carolina-Charleston

Northern Knottie traveler visiting your fair city Jan 18-22, help with info?

Hi to all you wonderful Charleston Knotties. I'm coming to Charleston on the above dates for business. Because my fiance & I have never been there, he's "tagging along", LOL.

Our company event, and accomodations, are at the French Quarter Inn, which I must say looks fabulous online, great reviews from Trip Advisor, etc.

We are there apparently when Charleston is having their Restaurant Week. Tristan is at our hotel, but what other restaurants are "must do"?

My fiance is a huge history buff, and since he'll be on his own Wed, Thurs & Friday morning, I know he'll see Ft Sumter, and some other historical things. But, what else would you recommend to some history buffs who also want to have a nice romantic visit to your city? I've seen info on carriage rides, but want to know from locals what you are most proud of, and would be something interesting to see. We won't have transportation available to us, so anything within walking distance (a mile or two) would be fine.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to our visit!

Re: Northern Knottie traveler visiting your fair city Jan 18-22, help with info?

• edited December 2011
    Tristan I highly recommend, thats where we had our reception. S.N.O.B for our RD, and McCrady's.

Joseph's on Meeting St. Has a great breakfast and lunch.

DH and I go to the Waldenbook store on the corner of Meeting and Market and buy a Charleston walking guide. It gives you maps and history on all the historical houses.

I'm sure some of the other women can give you some more rec's, enjoy and have a great time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a local and 82 Queen is a must, as well as High Cotton. 2 of my absolute favorites here! I would do a carriage ride, especially if you have never done one before, they are usually pretty good and most out of towner's enjoy that sort of thing! Go inside the old churches, and look at all the beautiful homes along the Battery! Also, try to catch a play at the Dock Street Theater!
    Anniversary
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Take a tour of Aiken Rhett and/or Nathaniel Russell.  They are completely different but really amazing properties.  Poogan's Porch is a must for a romantic and delicious brunch.  Bocci's is great for italian, right near the Market, Cru Cafe is a great little spot for lunch or dinner, and Carolina's is extremely romantic and delicious for dinner.  Just make sure you make reservations a few weeks in advance if you want places on the Restaurant Week list because they book up really fast.  Also, if you want to venture out to a plantation, Magnolia, Middleton, and Drayton are all pretty impressive in their own ways.  Magnolia and Middleton have fantastic gardens, but Drayton is my favorite because the house is so incredible.  There is also an IMAX theater in downtown near the Aquarium if you want to see a movie while you are in town. They serve alcohol in that theater too!  HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely second 82 Queen and Poogan's. If you are into seafood, you MUST try the shecrab soup at 82 Queen and their BBQ Shrimp and Grits. Poogan's also has a shrimp and grits dish which is amazing as well. Do not get wrapped up in Hyman's Seafood- it is a tourist trap and it's really not as good as they make it out to be. As far as the rest of the restaurants, you really can't go wrong. January will be a little chilly, but not far from your hotel is a rooftop bar- it is located on the top of Vendue Inn. It has a great atmosphere as well as amazing views of Charleston. I also have to recommend Rue de Jean- it is a french restaurant, but it's superb. If you are into sweets- you have to try a praline. For dessert, go to Kaminsky's. It is connected to TBonz. 
    I also second the carriage tour. Even as a local, I have been on two and still manage to learn something new every time. You are also by the waterfront park which is a must do. Check out Rainbow Row, tour an older home, stroll down to the battery. Since your husband is a history buff, y'all may want to check out the Blind Tiger Pub. It was an old speak-easy so he may find that kind of cool. He will probably also want to tour the Old Exhange Building and Provost Dungeon.
    I'm sure I am forgetting so many things. I hope you are excited to visit. I lived in Charleston my whole life until college and I have been away for almost 10 years now. I miss it so much and just talking to you about it makes me jealous.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. We are really looking forward to this, and your suggestions sound fabulous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards