South Carolina-Charleston

Introduction =)

Hello!  I live in NY and have vacationed in Charleston for years (family lives in Mt. Pleasant).  I have absolutely loved it so the FI and I have started planning an April 2012 wedding.  We are definately on a tight budget and would like to get married on the beach (IOP or Folly?)  We were thinking about renting a house and using that as the ceremony setting and are unsure about the reception venue.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

DW Siggy Challenge: Table Numbers-Jimmy Buffet Songs
imageAnniversary Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone

Re: Introduction =)

• edited December 2011
    HI, I thought I would give you a quick discreption about what I have planned.  I can only tell you about my phone/email interactions because the wedding hasn't taken place. 

I am from Utah and my FI is from South Carolina.  We met in Utah and are currently living in California for work.  We decided on Charleston because his elderly grandmother lives there and is unable to travel. 

I started planning in May of 2011 for a Sept 17 wedding. 

We are renting an event home from Fred Holland Realty.  Teresa has been so nice because I changed my house three times!  My dad also rented a house from them and it is across the street from this house. 

http://www.fredhollandrealty.com/1681eashleya.htm

We are planning on a simple ceremony either on the beach or on the grass next to the house. 

We are using Crazy Dutchman catering.  They have been nice on the phone and are handling the rentals.  I will give a review after. 

We are getting a simple cake from Publix's. 

Hoping for no hurricanes and a fun and relaxing wedding.

Janice
  • 11beck11beck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!  I will definately look into that realitor.  Good luck and I hope there aren't any hurricanes for you!

• brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having lived here 15 years and being a Realtor in residentail and investment property sales- you need to know that IOP does not allow private home rentals for events.
    Also if you plan on having phgotos taken on the beach, your photographer needs to apply for a permit through the town.
    The rental agency may not tell you upfront(if they are dishonest) but you MUST read the fine print - it is against a town ordinace on IOP and the town will shut you down and fine you heavily...
    Since family live in Mt P- have you considered Alhambra Hall for ceremony & reception?
    Don;t want to discourage you on being married on the beach, but know that if you intend to host a reception at a rental bot IOP and Sulivans Island will crack down on you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I actually just got married at a house we rented on IOP.  Neither one of us had never been there before and live in Ohio so we (I) had to do everything over email and phone so I have a lot of experience with what you are looking for.  However, we used the house for the ceremony and reception.  I went through Exclusive Properties and we rented one of their houses that had a large backyard and got married in the yard overlooking the beach so we didnt have to go through the hoops of IOP's rules and regulations.  (The town does have a website to look at for all their noise ordinances and all their rules).  We had the reception catered and brought in tables and chairs through the caterer and set everything up around our private pool.  It was absolutely perfect and just what we wanted.  You can only have a max of 40 people at a rental property at any time so just take that into consideration but it all worked out for us since thats all we needed.  You can't have a DJ or a tent or anything but we made do with big speakers and we hooked up our laptop.  It's not for everyone as you can't have a lot of the stuff most people do for a big wedding but we just were more interested in being with our closest friends and family.  If you're interested, I still have a lot of items from my wedding left over if you're interested (hanging tea lights we used to line the boardwalk, hurricane vases for flowers and floating flowers for the pool that were awesome).  If you have any other questions or would like to see what I have for sale, email me at kristinajruiz@yahoo.com.  Good luck!
  • 11beck11beck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the info!

**rkistina** I emailed you a few questions! thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards