California-Bay Area

Wedding location

Hi. My fiancé and I have been dating for 6 years, engaged for 2, formally engaged for 1, and we are just now able to begin wedding planning (had to wait till I was done with school). We looked at two locations a couple weeks back, and we really really like the first one we saw; it had bang for its buck and just seemed like it was us. But we are somewhat afraid of just going with the first placed we looked at, and feel like we should look at at least 2 more places. Kinda like trying on dresses. You may fall in love with the first you try on, but you should try on more because the ONE could be one you haven't tried.

So I need advice. Should we go with the first place that we love, which has things we want included in the cite, so we don't have to bring them in ourselves, is very earthy, and priced fairly well? Or should we look at some more? I am afraid of the date we want getting booked if we wait too long; if we see more places, and end up still liking the first one, and then the date is gone.

Please share your wisdom with me!
Anniversary

Re: Wedding location

• edited December 2011
    we are booking the first and only place we saw.  it has everything we want and more.  i actually tried to find another place to go look at...but there wasnt another place that came close to ours on paper. 

i had the same fear as you.  but if you can picture yourself at that place on the day and it has everything you want....i say go for it!

whats your venue???  i'm so curious now!  mine is Calegari Vineyards in Healdsburg.
  • edited December 2011
    We first saw Brownstone Gardens in Brentwood and then Mountain terrace in Redwood City. Brownstone is a very green place with plants and flowers everywhere. They have a koi pond with a bridge and private gazebo, and a stone waterfall behind the bridal party dining table. There is a separate place for the ceremony, after ceremony congregation, and reception. The reception space has a recessed dance floor, with the tables on the raised area, and the trees that branch out cover the whole area are beautiful and have lights in them. For $10,100, and 125 guests, we get:
    6hr rental
    wedding coordinator
    fruit waterfall and tea during after ceremony-before reception congregating
    bridal room
    all tables and chairs, table linens, napkins, china, silverware, centerpieces, gift table, scrapbook/guestbook table
    water for all guests
    photo booth supervised for 3 hours - all pictures are free; one to keep and one for the scrap book, and first 100 pics get a picture stand (the photo booth thing we have wanted from day one, and an additional $450 for it is a lot cheaper then paying for one to be transported to the location and supervised - somewhere around $800 give or take)
    two entrée buffet with sides and salad, and two hors d'ouvres
    complete set up and breakdown
    service fees and taxes included

So, we would just need to pay for our alcohol, cake, outfits, flowers, and music. This shouldn't be too much in addition because were planning for iPod as music, or one of my uncle's bands, and the place is so pretty as it is, we will hardly have additional flowers aside from bouquets (which will likely be DIY).

So, all in all, the place is wonderful, seems like it fits our personalities, and is pretty affordable...at least, for what it offers. Because I am so new to this, I don't really know how to make these judgments. Our problem is we don't know what we really want ( we've only decided that we want outdoor, as natural and green as possible, and a photo booth is a must). Good to know someone else chose their first one! I'm likely to just say f* it and do that.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Brentwood/Oakley gets really not during the summer so depending on when you decide your date, keep that in mind. If you can afford it plus whatever else you need for your day then go for it!
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • edited December 2011
    I'm hoping early June won't be as hot. I mean, we're used to heat by now since we've lived in the valley our whole lives, but heat is definitely an issue with my fiancé. Thanks!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I looked at 4 locations in the bay area, but I really feel like when you know it's the right one, you just know!  The fourth one for us was the one I had a feeling would be the one, but it is a little further from where we live so I actually went to see 3 other locations that were closer first.  It didn't matter -- each of the first 3 was just missing something. 

Sometimes its just meant to be!  (A lot like finding your fiance!)
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Kenyon Estate!! Its GORGEOUS!!!!! 
  • edited December 2011
    If you are still looking- you may want to check out www.idovenues.com lots of great suggestions
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone have contact information for Calegari Vineyard?  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards