California-Bay Area
Options

need wedding venue ideas

Hi, would love some ideas.

1. Outdoor ceremony with an indoor reception.
2. A place that will let us stay late (i.e. 12 am)
3. mid-range with nice decor
4. prefer to be by the water or have a great view
5. A place that has good catering
6. 130-160 guests

I like the idea of a hotel because it's convenient for our guests. Does anybody have any recs for hotels in SF or closely surrounding areas?

And any recs for reasonably prices venues in napa and sonoma that meet our specs?

We're shooting for aug-oct 2012.

thanks so much.

Re: need wedding venue ideas

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The East Bay Municipal Parks District and Oakland have lots of venues meeting all those requirements. Start with the Brazilian Room. Also, there's about 4 venues in the Presidio that meet these requirements.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Mira Vista Golf and Country Club.
    It's in the East Bay, and their claim to fame is that you can see the Bay, Golden Gate, and Richmond bridges from their golf course! The ceremony is on a concrete deck outside overlooking the golf course and bay, and they have great windows in the reception room that have a similar view!
  • Options
    waywardspiritwaywardspirit member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone mentioned the Brazilian room, which I checked out a few weeks ago and was GORGEOUS! Fell in love (still deciding though) but we have a small wedding.  I remember thinking this would be a decent size for 50-60 people.  I think around 100 people though it would start to feel pretty crammed.  

Another area I plan to go check out (maybe this weekend) is the Lake Temescal "beach" house which is in Oakland just after you pass the Berkeley hills going towards Oakland.

You may also be interested in the Berkeley City Center (also need to check that one out) but from their site it appears as though they have a terrace - which is kind of outdoors, and you can use a different indoor room for the reception.

Good luck! I'd love to be updated on what you find :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Layayette Park hotel has GREAT food but is a little pricey.

Maybe some of the livermore wineries?  Murietta's Well or Rios Lovell have outdoor ceremony and indoor reception.  Murietta's well would be catered by Wente so should be really tasty.

I am actually getting married at Purple Orchid Inn in Livermore in a couple weeks.  The new owners are amazing.  I love it, but think they only allow the party until 11.
    They have a 10 room B&B there so it is nice for at least some of your guests.  http://www.purpleorchid.com/

I am not sure how late any of them allow music actually but they are all interesting options.

Happy Venue Shopping
    September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    imageimage
  • Options
    MakenziLeaMakenziLea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Freedom Hall & Gardens in Santa Clara.  Beautiful backdrop, awesome price...and the price includes almost everything (food, cake, dj, open bar) Their reviews online are amazing, and their customer service can't be beat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Murrieta's well like another poster mentioned, but the max guest capacity there is 110.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my reception at the University Club of Palo Alto (ucpaloalto.com).  It's surrounded by trees and hills, so I think the view is nice.  I have heard of other brides having their ceremony outside in the trees, but I was married in a nearby church.  The prices were good, there's no noise curfew, and my guests said the food was the best they'd had at a wedding.
  • Options
    USCPharmDUSCPharmD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    During our venue search, we came across the General's Residence at Fort Mason that has a beautiful quaint lawn with the a bay view backdrop for a ceremony and a reception area inside. 

Info that I received from their sales person:  It is closed for some renovation until Oct 2011, but they are booking now for 2012.  They provide tables and chairs for the ceremony and reception in the rental price, will allow you to bring your own caterer, and will setup and breakdown. 

We decided to go for a more modern feel with a museum, but this was definitely one of our "real" options.
  • Options
    Bonzo2011Bonzo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Montclair Women's Cultural Arts Club (though no real view)

Snow Building at the Oakland Zoo (lovely view of the bay, but the building is a bit boring; photos show a lot of added decoration, so maybe more work in that area)

Elliston Vineyards in Sunol (loved this facility, but ended up not being thrilled with the food, so decided against it)

there are a lot of great wineries in the Livermore area to choose from too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards