North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham
Options

(NWR) I want to move to NC, advise?

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Miami Florida. My fiance grew up in NC and he wants to move back. I also have some family in the Raliegh area. We desperatly want to move to NC by July 1st (when our lease is up). We have not started saving yet.

Any advice? What is the cost of living there? Any advice on good areas to look for an apartment or rent a house? Any one on this board that moved from a different state recently? Any help would be appreciated. We want to have our wedding there as well and can't afford both at the same time. So we want to move as fast as possible.

Re: (NWR) I want to move to NC, advise?

• Options
    MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm originally from FL too (Tampa Bay) and I've been here for about ten years now.

I love the Triangle!  Its a surprisingly hip area (:

Cost of living is pretty good.  Especially if you are willing to drive into one of the larger cities for work and live a little more out in the country (45 min or so commute).

You get a lot for your money in housing!

I l ive out in Morrisville, about 1/2 hour from downtown Raleigh.  You can find lovely condos in this area in the $130k range.  Its very close to Durham too.  <3

Good luck with the move!

• Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    According to http://www.bestplaces.net/col/ the cost of living in Raleigh is 7% cheaper than Miami.  It'd probably be even less if you tried with Cary, or Morrisville or Apex or Durham or Clayton or Angier or somewhere else nearby.  I'm assuming you would like to move to the Triangle area. 

If you are talking about the triangle.  Fonville Morisey realty www.fmrealty.com has rental searches that are pretty good. 
  • Options
    shasha5847shasha5847 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I moved to Raleigh from CT and it was the best move I ever made.  That's where I met my FI.  It's is incredibly reasonable in terms of cost of living and depending on where you will work, that's how you should decide where to live.  I tend to favor the SE part of Raleigh where I'm 15 min from downtown Raleigh, 15 min from Fuquay-Varina, 20 min from Crossroads (big shopping area) in Cary and 15 min from White Oak shopping area in Garner.  I work in RTP and my commute is about 30 min.  I was told not to live in Durham, but some people love it.  Chapel Hill is really nice also.  Good luck!
    Rachel Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Apex and we really love it here.  They have a really precious downtown and a relatively new shopping area called Beaver Creek.  It has a movie theatre, Super Target, Old Navy, Kohls, TJ Maxx, etc. and a bunch of chain restaurants. It is a quick drive (10-15 min) to Cary and not too far to Durham or Raleigh (20-30 min) for anything else you need.

We rent a house that was built in '98.  It has three bedrooms, two baths, a fenced in backyard and is $880 per month.

Hope this helps! 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SunriseAmberSunriseAmber member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your responses. I think we are definitly going to move to the Raliegh area. I'm very excited and we plan to move when our lease is up in July.

ShaSha  - If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to save before you were able to move?
  • Options
    shasha5847shasha5847 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there,

Sorry for not replying, i didn't see the request.  If I remember correctly, in order to move it was within a couple thousand dollars.  I rented a UHaul and had a friend and my dad help me pack it up.  Then my brother-in-law helped me unpack it in my new apartment.  I had to pay rent on the new apartment (~$650 but that was 5 years ago).  My dad covered gas expense on the UHaul which was nice of him.  I'm not 100% sure on the cost anymore b/c when I moved I had another apartment in CT that I broke the lease on and had to deal with that.  Good luck on your move.  This is definitely a great place to live!
    Rachel Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards