Virginia-Richmond
Options

Bridal Salon Recommendations?

Hi Ladies,I need to set up some bridal salon visits for next weekend.I have read through the recommendations on this list (Tiffanies, Bela Rosa, Jingles, Sestra Bridal) but I'm specifically looking for guidance on two things.1) Which salon(s) are friendly for plus size gals (I'm a street 18, 5'10")2) Which places will have a selection of dresses in the under $1000 range (and, by extension, will respect my price range and not pressure me into expensive dresses)I'm in Richmond, but surrounding areas are ok.  I have already contacted Blush and will probably also set something up at David's since they have some dresses I like, and also some inexpensive BM dresses that I really like.

Re: Bridal Salon Recommendations?

• Options
    On_Cloud_NineOn_Cloud_Nine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    David's will probably be your best bet for your conditions. They carry dresses in all the sizes, so you can try on the dress in your actual size and not a sample size. This can be really great because you can see how the dress will actually fit, and not just an idea of what it will look like. They also have a great selection of dresses, and most of them are under $1000. And I think they're having a sale right now. I got mine on sale a couple weeks ago, anyway. They usually have sales.Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My daughter got hers at Sestra.  She is a size 22 and her dress was originally 800 and she paid 400 on sale.  Alterations were 150.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    David's and Tiffany's will definitely have stuff for you to try on. Not sure about Bella Rosa (other than it's pricey), and based on my experience as a bridesmaid Jingles is not as plus-size friendly. Maybe they have more for bridal though. Just ask when you call to make an appointment, especially if you have specific dresses in mind- ask what size their sample is. GL!
  • Options
    polelenepolelene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want to take a day-trip, Celebrations Bridal in Lynchburg has samples in "real" sizes. I bought mine there - I tried it on in my size (street size 14), and it was under $1K (I think it was right around $800). And they have a great selection of samples in different sizes. Frankly, I thought it was such a wonderful experience; I wish more bridal salons would follow their model! And while you're in Lynchburg, you can check out the YWCA's charity wedding dress shop (Church Street Bridal), and stop by the J. Crew outlet. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies!I think Lynchburg is probably too far for this trip anyway, but I will check out Tiffany's and David's (they actually have a dress I love, never thought I'd say that!).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey, if you love it, go for it!! Just make sure you try on all sorts of styles of dresses even if you have your heart set on one...you never know if you'll like something until you try it! Plus, when else in your life are you going to get to put on so many pretty dresses?! Have fun!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may want to look at the following designers websites and call the local retailer to see if they have samples in your size: www.alfredangelo.com www.morilee.com www.maggiesottero.com www.venusbridal.comwww.allurebridal.comAll of the designers listed above have a plus size collection.  I know Alfred Angelo and Maggie Sottero definitely have dresses under $1000. Good luck!Kim
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if it's too far out for you, but there are 2 nice shops in Farmville.  Esther May is a very nice shop with tons of styles.  I think they said most of their dresses are around or under $800.  The employees are very helpful.  You'd have to call and make sure about the sizes though, I don't know what they carry.  I know they carry designers that do make those sizes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies,

Just following up!  We ended up going toTiffanies and also to David's.  I found one Tiffanies dress that I liked but the neckline was wrong.  They had very few dresses in my actual size range to try on, but they did have the Jasmine dresses with the multi-size zippers that at least provided an idea.  My consultant was really nice, not high pressure at all and very understanding although she kept insisting that the size 16 samples would be huge on me (they had lots of samples in the 12-16 range), which was sweet but totally wrong!

Then we went to Davids and I actually had a great experience even if the level of service is not as high (our poor girl was helping several people at once).  I found just the dress I was looking for at an incredible price, which I know influenced my final opinion!  There was definitely some scary stuff, but also a few very nice things hidden in the cracks and it *really* helped to be able to try on dresses in the correct size range.

Anyway, dress is ordered and should arrive in February!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards