Virginia-Richmond

Tight budget, inexpensive Reception sites?

Hello all! So I'm at the beginning of my wedding planning. I've got the church; and had Maymont's nature center in mind with Mosaic to cater the event. However, I have a smaller than average budget of $10,000. I just got the quote from the caterer to be about $5500, and the venue at $2500; none of which including linens, etc. So I just can't work it out. I'm thinking to maybe try a more full service Reception site, that already includes linens/tables/chairs/food/servicel; etc. My wedding size is about 100 or so people, give or take a few. Any ideas??

Re: Tight budget, inexpensive Reception sites?

• xBrynnxxBrynnx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also had a budget of $10,000 and were anticipating about 100 people.  Our venue was outdoors and also cost about $2500.00.  We looked at Mosaic but decided against them because their prices were simply too high and did not include linens, china, etc.  The woman we met with was also very superior and rudely informed me that I had made poor decisions with other vendors (not because she knew they were bad but because she had never heard of them).  Anyway, there are definitely less expensive but still great catering companies out there ifyou are looking to save money.  I found that having an outdoor wedding (ceremony and reception in same location) was more costly than having an all inclusive indoor event.  Our caterer was great and provided linens and china as well as cake-cutting, but the cost of the tent, tables, chairs, etc. really added up.

If you are only at the beginning of planning I would definitely shop around a lot and see ifyou can't get some bargain pricing.  Other caterers and rental companies may be having specials or be willing to negotiate price.
  • edited December 2011
    Try the Richmond Country Club, the Place at Innsbrook, the Bellewood Club or a hotel. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Who was your caterer?
  • xBrynnxxBrynnx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married in Charles City and we ended up going with a new caterer out of Williamsburg.  The owners name is Cassie Whitney and her company is called Williamsburg Consession and Catering.  Unfortunately they don't have a website.  We paid about $2,800 and received the following services: hors d'oeuvres (fruit, veggies, cheeses, crackers), a carving station (we did roast beef and honey ham sandwhiches), a pasta station (pesto chicken pasta, portabella mushroom pasta, and marinara), a salad station, cake cutting, rental of china, silverware, glasses, and cloth napkins, and a to-go basket left in our getaway car.  We didn't require drinks because we used a different vendor for that.  The total also included taxes and service fees.
    Our wedding was outdoors at noon on a Sunday so we went with a more lunch menue.  She also does sit-down meals with waiters.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you tried A Sharper Palate?  They cater at Maymont a lot and will work with any budget.  We used them for my bridal shower at Maymont and I was really happy.
  • ndenikendenike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also met with Mosiac and had the same experience.  We ended up going with White House catering.  We are having 125 people and our catering was under 5000.00 and that included linens and rentals:) They are awesome to work with!
  • edited December 2011
    Traditions Catering in Powhatan is wonderful!
    www.traditionsfinecatering.com

Suzie is sooo sweet and she will work with you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards