Kentucky-Louisville

Dress Shopping

I went to Bridal Warehouse today to start getting ideas for dresses and ended up finding one that I loved.  We're kind of flying blind right now though because my fiance and I are both the first to get married in our families.  Does anyone have experience with this store?  My shopper seemed very nice, but I don't want to get screwed over in the end.  Thanks!

Re: Dress Shopping

• inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't go there, but I've not heard any complaints about them.  As with most bridal stores, their alterations prices will be very high, so don't go to them for that.  Otherwise, buy it!
  • skittles1977skittles1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister in law bought her dress there and couldn't have been happier!  I didn't find anything there and went to David's Bridal.  Again, I agree with above poster, let someone else do your alterations.  This is where the bridal shops make their money.  All I needed done was a bussle tacted up and they wanted to charge me $60.  I found someone who would do it for $25.  Good luck!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I went.  The sales girl assigned to me seemed angry I was there.  Stood in the center of the store and pointed at a rack.  Didn't help with ANYTHING.  And, despite their signs to the contrary, they had a guy in the dressing room which made me really uncomfortable. 

I've seen a bunch of other bad reviews on here.  But, I know two people IRL who bought dresses there are were really happy.  I think it's really hit or miss, depending on the day and the consultant you get.

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • tigger9922tigger9922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:608Discussion:0010e121-3db7-4827-a51b-93889a7378cePost:78f8f15d-61ab-4085-9782-ea41bd56d5fe">Re: Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went.  The sales girl assigned to me seemed angry I was there.  Stood in the center of the store and pointed at a rack.  Didn't help with ANYTHING.  And, despite their signs to the contrary, they had a guy in the dressing room which made me really uncomfortable.  I've seen a bunch of other bad reviews on here.  But, I know two people IRL who bought dresses there are were really happy.  I think it's really hit or miss, depending on the day and the consultant you get.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

This.  I had a great shopping experience with my consultant, but when it came time to deal with other employees in the store for ordering BM dresses, they were awful.  I took a friend there to look about 2 weeks ago and the girl was great.  I'd ask to deal with Cassie, or Stephanie.  They know what they are doing and make it a pleasant experience.  Also check out the new Bridal Suite of Louisville off Lynn Station.....AMAZING.  You will have a great experience there. 
  • ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the good advice!  I was thinking about the dress all day - so I guess that's a sign.  I have an appointment tomorrow at David's Bridal, but it was like pulling teeth to get someone to answer the dang phone there today.  We'll see.  I appreciate the suggestion about the alterations too!  The dress was pretty much fitted except for the bustle needed to be added and the boobs taken in.  I'm so thankful for boards like this!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree w/PP.  I actually did end up buying my dress there (clearance, off the rack, "gotta buy it now" sale--high pressure) but to get the deal on the bridesmaid dresses, I ended up driving to E-town's bridal warehouse--where everyone was MUCH nicer.  Oh, and the E-town store had the same "gotta buy it now" dress that Louisville did--I fell for their scam and made a rush decision.

In all, if BW has the dress you want, drive to Etown to get it.  You'll be much happier.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't care for Bridal Warehouse.  I ended up walking out.  I don't know if my sales lady woke up on the wrong side of the bed or what. But 2 of my co-workers had pretty much the same experience.  One co-worker went to Rebecca out in St. Matthews. I got my dress at David's Bridal.  My sales lady there was great.  She was helping me and 2 other brides, but she kept checking on me, making sure I was ok. (I was shopping alone)
  • ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My appointment at Davids wasn't as great as everyone has described theirs to be.  First my sale girl told me that she was feeling ill, which I do not care for germ sharing.  Then, she kept picking out these really decorated gowns for me to try on, when I articulated that I like more plain styles.  In the dressing room, she was trying to convince me to use her wedding planning business and even gave me a business card, after I told her that I was planning my wedding solo.  The cherry on the sundae was when she told me one dress would look so much better if I wore Spanx.  I'm rather petite, so Spanx aren't really in the equation, but even if they were, she shouldn't have said that in front of all of the people there!  I think I'm going to end up getting that dress from Bridal Warehouse this week, perhaps I will go to the E-town location!  Thanks for all of the advice!
  • edited December 2011
    The dress I want is in Cincci...sigh. I could order it at Rebeccas or Reggis but I would prefer to try it on first.
  • edited December 2011

Try Dolce Vita Bridal Shop in Middletown. We have beautiful gowns and wonderful prices. We've been in the business for a long time and love what we do. We're smaller but our prices are comparable to David's and the service is individualized.
    Our prices range from $299-$1400.  We have a variety of sizes including some petit and some plus.
    Please go to our website for more information about our summer sale and google places has a great coupon you can clip.
    www.LaDolceVitaBridal.com
    Congratulations on your engagement!
    Sheila & Deena - Owners

• edited December 2011
    Most bridal shops don't make any money on alterations unless they have their own in house people doing it. Most shops are happy to find a good one and send their customers there so they will get a fair price and quality work.
  • edited December 2011

No we don't carry Maggie Sottero, I'm sorry. But we have beautiful dresses and may have something like the one you want. What is the name or style number? I can let you know if we have something you may want to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards