Kentucky-Louisville
Options

I just need to complain

So we're not even getting married in Louisville, but I went to the bridal show this past weekend put on my DJX (I think). Well I was careful about using my spam email address when I signed up for stuff because I had heard about the vendors sending tons of emails.

Well, all of the sudden I have started receiving a TON of emails to my real email address from vendors that I KNOW I never talked to on Sunday. I'm pretty sure they gave my info to all of the vendors and it makes me mad. I know these emails aren't being auto-forwarded because I was using a special email I use for everything when I dont want to be put on a mailing list.

AND most of the emails I"m receiving don't have unsubscribe buttons, which is actually illegal (i'm pretty sure).

Ok end rant. :)

Re: I just need to complain

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally feel you!  I went to the same bridal show, and now I am not only getting emails, but actual mail from different vendors.  One piece of mail I received was from a photographer, which I KNOW I didn't sign up for because I've already booked my photographer.  This is very frustrating.
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I really want to write a strongly worded letter. :) By the way, we have the same wedding date! I'm getting married in Evansville. Where is your ceremony and reception?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amen. I am getting phone calls as well!
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I'd rip somebody a new one for that.  I'd call and be all sweet about, "Hi!  I don't think we met at the bridal show, but I'm seeing emails from you now!  I just wanted to thank whomever shared that with you since the stuff's so awesome!  Do you know where you got it?

Great.  Suzie told you.

Now.  CEASE AND DESIST.  Do not contact me further.  If you do, I'll be happy to post negative reviews on every bridal website I can find.  Ciao!

Suzie?  Hi.  It seems you sold my email address against my wishes to at least 37 companies.  I believe the fine is $200/infraction.  Would you care for me to report that?  Oh?  You'd like to give me flowers for free?  Hmmmmm. . . let me think. . . .

Yeah, I know it wouldn't go that way.  But still.  Way to not be cool.  And, I really would post the negative reviews. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    whitneygeslerwhitneygesler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also went to the wedding show at the Brown and Williamson club and have been contacted by companies that I never talked with at a wedding show. Not only have I received emails, but also a text message, and even a friend request on facebook! It has gotten to be a bit ridiculous! Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I just got a phone call tonight saying I won something. I have to go to the Hampton Inn tomorrow night to receive it though. Right.

Squirrly, I've thought about contacting the company that organized the show. Most of the emails seem to be one time emails, so I haven't said anything specifically to them. However, if they email me again I will definitely say something.

I'm actually more mad that they're calling me than emailing me. I hate screening calls!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yeah I learned my lesson after the first bridal show I attended.  I created an email account that is strictly wedding stuff.  That way my personal email is not overloaded with junk. I know the damage is partially done, but it wont hurt.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    tm, I did that for the stuff I signed up for at the individual booths. However, when I signed up for the bridal show itself I used my regular email address. Big mistake! I've now received email, snail mail, and phone calls. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When you sign up for bridal shows, the host gives all the vendors your e-mail. It's pretty standard and that's why the vendors pay those high dollar fees – so they can get in. Just ask to be removed from their lists.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That doesn't mean it's right. I work in the interactive world and unless they had some super small disclaimer about how they would sell my information, I feel like they did it illegally. I have bridal companies calling my work number now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Birdie - Sorry!  I've been busy and haven't been on in awhile.  We're getting married here in Louisville at Mellwood.  We have a very small budget so our ceremony and reception will both be at Mellwood, in the same room.

You were right about most of these being a one time thing.  I've pretty much stopped receiving the calls and snail mail.  I still get random emails, but most of those just go into my junk mail.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hope they stop soon! :)

When we were looking at weddings in Louisville, Mellwood was my top choice. I hope you have a great time planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They provide a list to the vendors I believe. When we were getting married, I had the same problem. I already had a TON of emails in my account from vendors that I was considering and all that did was confuse me.   Hopefully when you let them know you don't want to hear from them, they take you off the list.
  • Options
    cceaglescceagles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a Louisville-area vendor but here I just want to comment on the anger about being contacted after a show.
    We vendors sign up for those shows to find prospective customers.
    All the shows give us vendors spreadsheets of your contact info (off your registration.)
    If they didn't  I doubt most of us would spend the $350 -$600 and up for the booth.

In the bigger shows, especially, it can be hard for you  guys to get around to all of us. It's either a problem of time, crush of people, or you have a brain kludge from taking in all the info.
    I remember when I was engaged I myself cruised these shows looking for ideas and possible vendors to work with. I took folks' cards/brochures and I leafed through the show program - but I wound up hiring people in my area, in my budget. Not everyone is like me - some folks do go to shows to hire their vendors (including hiring me!)

I would hope you would understand one follow-up contact - an email, or a phone call, text (we vendors hear you gals like texts now) even a snail mail. Beyond that, you can add them to junk mail with your email program hopefully...I mean, usually even I can figure out who's going to be interested and who's going to be "get lost" without badgering them.
    That said, I think trying to friend a stranger on Facebook is wrong - and stupid!)
    Thanks for reading the view from the other side of the booth!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards