Kentucky-Louisville

DERBY!!

Who's going??  Who has fun plans?!  Share!

I am stuck in NY and especially homesick during Derby week.  I hate missing it but I am there in spirit and will be watching it on tv! 
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DERBY!!

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI is going to the infield, as is one of my BMs.  I am staying home, having a Derby party for one, and finishing up wedding stuff.  :D  I will probably have a couple of margaritas, and just chill out.  Might make Derby Pie if I'm really adventurous.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sounds like awesome derby plans to me!  I'd totally come crash your party for one if I were in the same city haha.  Both margaritas and derby pie are favorites of mine too!

edited December 2011
    If you were here, I'd put you to work on OOT bags.  :D  I really hope people appreciate these damn bags.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha yeah I am not looking forward to doing those myself... FI's entire guest list is OOT. I may use you for ideas on those Wink
  • edited December 2011
    I was desperately hoping I got out of work early today so I could go work on wedding stuff.  My mom, FI, MOH and dad all got let out at noon. 

The clock is ticking so slowly!  I guess the plan is work on everything all day tomorrow.
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies, I work for food.  So, I'd be happy to help if you feed me.  It's one of the things I love about weddings...planning it all and talking about it.  Let me know if you need help!
    edited December 2011
    I'm almost at the point where I say "screw it".  :D  All the major stuff is done.  

And, I've got TONS of good OOT bag ideas.  Ours has a brochure I put together, plus one from the bourbon trail.  I'll take the personal identifiers out of ours and post it in my bio post-HM.  Or tomorrow, if I get bored.  :D  You can also get books from the Tourism offices in Lexington and Louisville, but they'll only give you so many at a time, so you need to send friends in on your behalf once a week or so, until you have enough.

I included 2 water bottles that we ripped the labels off of and put custom labels on.  Those were $3.18 for a case of 30 from Sams.  And the labels were really cheap.

1 bottle of Ale-8-One.  Got those at Meijer.  $2.99/6-pack.  

A bag of Kentucky candies - 2 bourbon balls from Ruth Hunt, a Blue Monday, and 2 Modjeska's from Muth's Candies.  Plus a card with a description of each and a recipe for making your own Bourbon Balls.  That collection was pricier, around $4/bag.

A nip of Evan Williams' Honey Reserve.  They were 10 for $5.99 at Liquor Barn.  

1 package of Grandma's Cookies ($7 for 33 at Sams).  1 package of microwave popcorn ($6 or so for 28 at Sams). A bag of Cheeze-Its (I rebagged from the gigantic size at Sams - I need one more big box of these, so that's on tomorrow's list).  

Each bag got one of the horseshoe shaped soaps I made.  They were about $0.25 each, if I remember correctly.

And 2 single-dose packs of Tylenol.  I got those from Amazon - $13 for 50 doses.  
    I'm giving out one bag per hotel room.  A few relatives are staying with other relatives in town, so I'm sending some to those folks too, just because.  
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011

Good ideas, squirrly!  I'm trying to scrounge up enough of those empty Louisville Tap water bottles, but if I don't, I'm going your way with the labels!

I sent an email to the KY tourism people in Lexington, and told them I was having 200 mostly out of town folks for my wedding...they didn't reply, so I didn't think anything else of it, but all of a sudden two HUGE UPS boxes, weighing approx. 1 ton each, showed up at the door.  They sent me 200 tourist guides!!!!  There is no way I need that  many, so if anyone out there is interested, let me know!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_derby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:608Discussion:dd559b95-9613-4afe-af9a-cec795386232Post:d75f49bf-1af1-44f5-9c59-dabaad3f8f2d">Re: DERBY!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good ideas, squirrly!  I'm trying to scrounge up enough of those empty Louisville Tap water bottles, but if I don't, I'm going your way with the labels! I sent an email to the KY tourism people in Lexington, and told them I was having 200 mostly out of town folks for my wedding...they didn't reply, so I didn't think anything else of it, but all of a sudden two HUGE UPS boxes, weighing approx. 1 ton each, showed up at the door.  They sent me 200 tourist guides!!!!  There is no way I need that  many, so if anyone out there is interested, let me know!
    Posted by shellebelle228[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Same exact thing happened to me! Since they never responded I forgot about it and when the box showed up I was sooo confused.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooo.....I'll take the tourist guides!  That would be awesome!  I need about 60 of them if you've got them.  Thanks ladies!

Squirrly, I love the idea of giving microwave popcorn.  Our hotel (Jameson Inn on Blankebaker...fabulous to work with btw) has a microwave and those would be perfect. 

We're going to do ours pretty simply....tourist info, directions to and from the ceremony/reception site, water bottles, microwave popcorn, and something sweet.  I have the boxes from my previous engagement, so I'm just going to use them.  I'll probably need to get ribbon unless I just cut down the bolt of tulle that I have and use that.  And I'm going to order the postcards from VistaPrint and tape one on the outside that says thank you and then put one inside because it'll have the directions and phone number info on the back. 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops...forgot to tell you how to get those to me.  I'll private message my email to you ladies and we can figure out a time and place to meet up.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards