Indiana-Indianapolis

Cost of BM dress

What do you all think is a reasonable amount for a BM dress in our area? My total budget is about $12k so it's not going to be an extravagant wedding. My MOH keeps telling me to pick out what I like for the girls ... the dresses seem to be under $200.

Re: Cost of BM dress

• edited December 2011
    My bridesmaid dresses cost us $150 a piece from an online retailer...they were over $200 at the bridal salon.  My parents are paying for the dresses so I can't really tell you what my bridesmaids thought.  I've been in LOTS of weddings and the cost ranged from $90 to $180.  The $180 seemed a little steep for a dress that I would never wear again.
  • edited December 2011
    I was a bridesmaid last summer and our dresses cost $200, plus then I had to pay another $50 to get it altered.  I thought that was kind of ridiculously high, since I doubt I'll wear again.  I would have preferred to pay around $100.  Remember that most girls will have to have the dress altered in some way, which can be pricey.  Plus they'll also be spending money on gifts for you, potentially on travel/hotels, make-up and hair...so be kind and go less expensive if you can!  :)
  • S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana-indianapolis_cost-of-bm-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:611Discussion:68ef7088-07bd-44fc-9fab-39b02e7a424fPost:d9d0bef4-d3bb-4c80-a458-aa3fe4f46ee4">Re: Cost of BM dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think you need to speak with each of your girls (individually) to see what they are comfortable spending. </strong> If you want a more expensive dress than your girls are willing to buy, you can pay the difference or find a dress that fits the lowest budget amount. I asked each of my girls and the price range was $150-$300. The dresses I ended up picking were $139 on <a href="http://www.houseofbrides.com" rel='nofollow'>www.houseofbrides.com</a> . When I'm in a wedding, the max I'll spend on a dress is $150.  I can afford more but I don't want to pay more for a dress that will, most likely, end up in the back of my closet when the wedding is over.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

We'll be helping a few of our bridesmaids out with the cost of their dress b/c some of them are still in college = they're pretty broke. Our dresses are about $200.
    Anniversary
  • angeltennis3angeltennis3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dresses my girls bought cost $120.  I felt that was pretty reasonable.  I personally would be a bit put out by a bride who asked me to pay more than $150.  You aren't ever going to wear these dresses again.  You can typically spot a recycled bridesmaid dress a mile away.  There are exceptions...but they are rare.
    Tara & Eric September 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My FMIL got so put out with the cost of dresses in the area she is making them for my sister and my FSIL... Everything we saw was around 150 or more... with gas being 4.17... its just crazy!
  • ashmady11123ashmady11123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My girls' dresses were around $139 each.  I was just in another wedding and the dress was $160!  Crazy.
  • edited December 2011
    I asked my girls what they wanted to spend and they all agreed between $150 and $250. We agreed on a designer at the Bridal Superstore, and then they were each able to pick their own dress in the same color so that those who like to splurge got exactly what they wanted and those who were more budget conscious could include that in their decision.
  • edited December 2011
    Our girls dresses were $200, but you have to take in account that they still have to get shoes, maybe special undergarments, jewelry (if you are not buying), makeup, hair, etc... I spoke to each of my girls before looking for dresses so I knew what they were willing to spend.  The only one who could not do the $400-$500 needed for the wedding (with shoes, dress, makeup,  and hair) was my sister who is in college, but I took care of her costs.  I bought everyones jewelry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards