Indiana-Indianapolis

Re: Winter Wedding Venue

• edited December 2011
    I disagree with that being incredibly rude. People understand and having a family dinner is completely fine. I am attending a wedding next month that did exactly that. They actually sent invitations to everyone they wanted at the dinner and then invited friends on facebook who they could not have be a part of the dinner. They just put an explanation of their budget and family. I did not find that at all rude. Just logical.
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana-indianapolis_winter-wedding-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:611Discussion:a01eead6-7cc7-4795-8216-0ea27d9ec37cPost:bca895d7-4e56-4627-b999-4f2027c681b8">Re: Winter Wedding Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree with that being incredibly rude. People understand and having a family dinner is completely fine. I am attending a wedding next month that did exactly that. They actually sent invitations to everyone they wanted at the dinner and then invited friends on facebook who they could not have be a part of the dinner. They just put an explanation of their budget and family. I did not find that at all rude. Just logical.
    Posted by litlmermaid12992[/QUOTE]

Pardon me if this comes across as snarky, but...Just because you know people who did it, doesn't mean it isn't rude.  Inviting people via FB makes it even worse. 

OP: Listen to MilkDuds: host the number of people you can afford to host.
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I know people who burp in restaurants and talk on cell phones while checking out too, but that doesn't mean that just because monkey see it's ok if monkey do.

And FYI, The Mavris is beautiful, but will not fit 500 for dancing. We're having our reception there. If you do the right thing and not have a tiered reception then you could do a non-weekend wedding there and still be within budget probably.
  • edited December 2011
    I am confident in my choice to have a separated reception.
    Everyone will be invited to the ceremony.
    There will be a break for everyone to explore Indy or go home and have a dinner.
    Then our family and closest friends will have a dinner. 
    Following that everyone will join us and we will have cake, a dessert table, refreshments, and dancing.
    We are inviting the whole church, so I'm pretty sure they'll be okay with that fact that at 20 yrs old we can not afford to have a huge glamorous reception with everyone we love, but they will be happy we still want them to be a part of it.

• edited December 2011
    Also if the only reason you want to reply is to criticize my choice, keep it to yourself.
    I need advice on venues. 
    Thank you.
  • edited December 2011
    To be realistic, in Indy you're not going to find a venue with loft skyline views that doesn't cost a decent amoubnt, let alone one that fits 500 people.

Even regular drink service w/o alcohol will get pretty expensive for 500 people.
  • edited December 2011
    Wait, you're 17 AND not even engaged yet. Why don't you focus on school and being young and having fun, enjoy your relationship, and THEN after you've done some growing up and are actually planning a wedding that's not hypothetical come ask us serious questions, and not ones that you don't want to hear the answer to because you're just going to do what you want anyway.

I started dating my FI when I was 16, and when we get married we will have been together for 7 years. We talked about getting married when I was 16/17 as in the distant future because we were in love, and lamented the wait. Most of our relationship was long distance bc we met in HS and then went to different colleges.

Waiting to get married doesn't mean you have to put your lives together on hold, it means you're being responsible and mature. If it's worth the wait, then you'll wait.
  • edited December 2011
    Another option: Have your 100 person wedding with the venue you want, the people you want, etc, Then, one  day after Church service is over have a small cake and punch reception for your fellow parishioners. I know in some circles it's ok to invite the entire church to a ceremony and not anything else (we have some guests like this) but I've never heard of inviting everyone to a ceremony, taking a break and forcing those people to explore (in Indy paying for parking and dinner that entire time) and then be invited to come dance.
  • edited December 2011
    I was not asking for any advice on my tiered reception choice.
    this question was all about just a venue.
    and I am not rushing my marriage at all.
    I was simply looking around at different places, so I thought I would ask.
    I also am enjoying my relationship very much so and I dont think I asked for advice on that either.
    Your ongoing comments are really unnecessary and seems like your trying to start arguments.
    You did not have to reply to this post at all.
    You're not even invited to the wedding so no reason to care so incredibly much about my reception.
    I would not take advice about growing up from you either... milkduds and samurai and you're commenting for no reason. 
    Spend your time giving good advice about what people need it on and planning your own weddings.

• edited December 2011
    I'll just address each of your comments and be done, because this is getting pointless.

Actually, I kept commenting because I kept trying to provide you with options. on how you can have the type of celebration that you're referring to without also breaking basic etiquette, so I was merely trying to be helpful, not start arguments. The repeated posts are because I made the error of coming up with other ideas after previous posts, and didn't feel like editing previous posts to include my new suggestions.

You did not have to post on a public forum at all. By choosing to do so you open yourself up to comments about your post, which is what we/I have done.

I only told you about my background in an effort to relate to you, because I was also 17 and in love once, and I am now also marrying that person after choosing to wait until we had finished our education, found stable careers, and matured more. When people offer advice they typically draw on their own personal experiences, another thing you open yourself up to by posting on a public internet forum.

I am spending my time giving what I feel to be good advice. I advised you that a tiered reception is typically frowned upon and considered a breach of etiquette because you included that information in your post.I also advised you of other ways to include your church family without causing them so much financial strain in having to pay for parking, food, and entertainment while they wait to join you for dancing. And I am also spending time planning my own wedding because I am actually getting married soon, not hypothetically in the distant future.

And now I'm done beating this dead horse.
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All I wanted to say is that it's good to see some actual comments on a post.  This board has been dead too long!
  • edited December 2011
    The Indiana State House might be a Fantastic location for your ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    so what.
    atleast shes trying to help.
    who cares if its a vendor.
    thanks for your help.
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, per the rules of the board, vendors are not allowed to post on here and self promote.  So its against the rules and if they continue to do it, they will be kicked off.  I have already reported them.  Please make sure you know what you are talking about before you post.  This entire post string is ridiculous.  Please return when you are actually of age to get married and actually planning.  Otherwise, this board is not for you.  Thanks!
  • PhotoMotoPhotoMoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The OP has a vendor link in her post.  She is a "wedding singer".  Violation
  • PhotoMotoPhotoMoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana-indianapolis_winter-wedding-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:611Discussion:a01eead6-7cc7-4795-8216-0ea27d9ec37cPost:6ae8ace5-998f-470f-8fc2-9bb80cace30d">Re: Winter Wedding Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait, you're 17 AND not even engaged yet. Why don't you focus on school and being young and having fun, enjoy your relationship, and THEN after you've done some growing up and are actually planning a wedding that's not hypothetical come ask us serious questions, and not ones that you don't want to hear the answer to because you're just going to do what you want anyway. I started dating my FI when I was 16, and when we get married we will have been together for 7 years. We talked about getting married when I was 16/17 as in the distant future because we were in love, and lamented the wait. Most of our relationship was long distance bc we met in HS and then went to different colleges. Waiting to get married doesn't mean you have to put your lives together on hold, it means you're being responsible and mature. If it's worth the wait, then you'll wait.
    Posted by samurai21[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  we started dating at 15 didn't get married till 10 years later, we didn't live together, and we both grew up first, guess what?  We survived. 
  • edited December 2011
    i doubt you will actually marry this guy since you are 17 and completely oblivious.... but for anyoe else reading

Serendipity in plainfeild has a lofty feel and at 1000 for the room (with food of course) is a steal and i think it will fit about 500 --- I think this will be my venue it fun, has great parking, and has an elevator for my grammy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards