Canada-Ontario

Sweet Table or no Sweet table?

Hi Gals
I keep flip flopping on this one and I am getting married next weekend!  I want to know, how do you feel about the sweet table?

I know that most people get it but recently have been hearing of many people that don't.  Originally I had it in my menu but recently axed it to save some money.  I've been to two-three weddings that did not have it and I never missed it to tell you the truth.  Thoughts?

We will be having cupcakes and my mom's friend is baking home made Italian amazing cookies but that's it.  Is it expected?  Is it a waste?

Re: Sweet Table or no Sweet table?

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a full meal with dessert, as well as cake.  Instead of a sweet table, we have savoury stuff (turkey & brie sandwiches, poutine, reubans, sliders) that were passed around the room and dancefloor later on in the night.

It's nice to have something to snack on.  A friends' wedding over labour day had a station filled with their friends and family "favourites" whether made by them personally or store bought - cookies, chocolates, candy - it was fantastic at midnight after some drinks and dancing!

I think what you have is enough - now don't worry!  Enjoy the last week of planning and try to minimize stress! :)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't eat much from the sweet table when there is one, but they do seem to be a big hit. There seems to be higher expectations to have obscene amounts of food in certain cultures.

We had a sweets table (including wedding cake) but we cut dessert from the dinner menu - so the sweets table was the dessert buffet. It was all traditional sweets we brought in from outside.

It's nice to have but by no means mandatory. Don't feel bad at all if you decide to cut it for budget reasons. I think what you're planning sounds great already.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • suellen2bwedsuellen2bwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if you are having a lates night dance you do need something, I would do a combination of sweet and savoury. Double check with your venu before brining your own in, mine does not allow anything but hard cookies (due to health reguations). Good friends of ours had pizza delivered at midnight, it was fun!
  • edited December 2011
    We're having one. Our cake will be served later in the evening becuase we have a formal dessert going with dinner. We have a sweet table with a bunch of different things on the table. I'm Italian so it's pretty customary to have a sweet table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lmckenzie98lmckenzie98 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a sweet table is a great idea for later in the night.  People get dancing, and they get a little hungry again as the night passes. 
  • lycindylycindy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be having a sweet and savoury table late at night. Our cake, pastries and pizza will be served and we will also be  bringing in outside caterers for Chinese and Polish hot items to bring in some elements from our backgrounds.  Hopefully, it wont be a waste because we are having cocktail and food will starting at 5:00 pm plus a 6 course meal.
  • edited December 2011
    you should have it.. im also not a person to have them at a wedding, but you always see people going up for the sweets
  • miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a savoury table with sliders and sweet potato fries - people went buck over it. The feedback was that it was better than a sweet table (especially because we had cupcakes for the wedding cake).
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to weddings with and without a swet table and both weddings were great! so I don't think it's a make or break.

Congratulations and all the best!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards