Canada-Ontario

Reception table decor

I'm getting married on Oct 28, 2012 in a barn.  The barn has a lot of nice character so we probably won't do much decorating, but I'm not sure what to do for table decor.  Here are some details:
*tables are round
*we are pretty low budget
*our main colours are green, ivory and maybe yellow from sunflowers
*we are going for a rustic and casual theme

I had thought of using mason jars and my fiance's Coke bottle collection to hold various flowers but my mom said it would be tacky. I've also toyed with autumnal gourds and pinecones...please help!

PS-we don't want things that aren't functional, liek random books and figurines.

Re: Reception table decor

• kateguess22kateguess22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you permitted to use candles in your centrepieces at that venue?
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it would be tacky to use mason jars or your fiancé's bottle collection as well as some flowers in your theme colours.  It would represent the both of you .   Add some votive candles and I think you'd be set.

If you're happy with it and it goes with the theme you have in mind, go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    Mason jars are cute and I have seen them decorated really well. I agree with your mom on the coke bottles- seems out of place to me.

I just googled 'mason jar centrepieces'. So many great ideas and most of them look DIY.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to the mason jars - they will look great and there are tons of inspiration boards with them included.  Try stylemepretty.com or snippetandink.com to find pics!
  • edited December 2011
    Mason jars for sure! It ties nicely into your theme :)

How did you get your venue? I'm curious because am looking for something unique and vintage-inspired around the GTA.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the mason jars.  There are also tons of vases at Dollarama for less than $2 if you need more glassware.  Sunflowers are bright and colourful and yellow and cheap!  If you like the more bright green colour, there are some amazingly bright green spider mums and button mums that are cheap and a great colour.  You could do greeen and white spider mums in the jars/vases.
  • lisafalon84lisafalon84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mason jars forsure!! They are so cute and suit a barn relaxed feel. I just went to a country wedding and they had 2 mason jars filled with green and white flowers on each table. I actually took pictures to copy :) they looked great. I agree the coke bottles will look out of place. Candles are also a cheap way to make the tables look great. 1 mason jar with an arrangement surrounded by tea lights would look very simple and beautiful. I also like the pine cone idea to scatter around. you could add sparkles on them to pick up from the candle light
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_reception-table-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:3c87aa53-5269-4476-9b8e-4714df8f3839Post:11228337-ddc1-4a96-866b-c20758281749">Re: Reception table decor</a>:
    [QUOTE]mason jars forsure!! They are so cute and suit a barn relaxed feel. I just went to a country wedding and they had 2 mason jars filled with green and white flowers on each table. I actually took pictures to copy :) they looked great. I agree the coke bottles will look out of place. Candles are also a cheap way to make the tables look great. 1 mason jar with an arrangement surrounded by tea lights would look very simple and beautiful. I also like the pine cone idea to scatter around. you could add sparkles on them to pick up from the candle light
    Posted by lisafalon84[/QUOTE]

Lisa,

Since you have a photo - can you post it to give her a little inspiration?
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds awsome!  I'm all about cheap.  I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff from efavourmart.com.  They are out of the states but they ship to Canada in about 10 days.  I found their prices for chair covers, sashes etc to be much cheaper than renting.  Also, someone else mentioned flowers -  I used www.bunchesdirect.com .  If you order more then $200 worth of flowers they deliver for free.  Good Luck- I'm sure it will be beautiful!!
  • catwinecatwine member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_reception-table-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:3c87aa53-5269-4476-9b8e-4714df8f3839Post:839facfc-e597-48bf-9c0f-57c372fdc330">Re: Reception table decor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mason jars for sure! It ties nicely into your theme :) How did you get your venue? I'm curious because am looking for something unique and vintage-inspired around the GTA.
    Posted by hendersonsarah[/QUOTE]

I'm actually out of the GTA (Peterborough/Kawartha Lakes region) so I just searched "Barn wedding in Kawartha Lakes" on Google. It actually brought me to blog's of local photographers that had done weddings in a certain location I liked.  so i found the contact info for the venue and set up an appointment to see it. 

I also Google-searched "unique wedding venues in kawartha lakes" which brought up a ton of places. Have you considered a museum as a venue? i've seen pictures of weddings in museums and it looks so neat.

The venue we like is actually a theatre barn where they hold plays (it's called Lakeview Arts Barn if you wanted to search it).

You could always look into a pioneer village type place if that appeals to you.

Best of luck!
  • catwinecatwine member
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Great advice!!! Thanks so much :) We are looking at Fall 2012 for our wedding so there is still a bit of time to decide on a venue (we hope to have it by early October at the latest)
  • edited December 2011
    I love the mason jars and coke bottles! I went to a wedding recently where they put feathers in with the flowers, it looked really pretty and might suit an outdoor theme.

Can I ask where your barn is? My fiance and I are looking for a slightly unusual venue.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the bunchesdirect recommendation!! Their stuff is beautiful and a much better price than what I've been seeing.
  • catwinecatwine member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_reception-table-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:3c87aa53-5269-4476-9b8e-4714df8f3839Post:f7f43c5e-7c80-4400-b55d-137e55b3ba64">Re: Reception table decor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love the mason jars and coke bottles! I went to a wedding recently where they put feathers in with the flowers, it looked really pretty and might suit an outdoor theme. Can I ask where your barn is? My fiance and I are looking for a slightly unusual venue.
    Posted by thousandtrees[/QUOTE]

The barn is in Bobcaygeon, ON and is called the Lakeview Arts Barn. There is also a barn is Bethany ON called the Ironhorse Ranch (they don't have a website so I can give you their e-mail if you want it). Both are rustic and outdoorsy.  I actually contacted the camp I went to as a teenager but they couldn't accomodate us ebcause they shut their water off before at the start of fall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards