Canada-Ontario

new here! Have a question re: cocktail hour

Hello everyone!  I've been lurking for a bit but have finally decided to add to the boards.  I'm getting married June 11, 2011 (can't believe how fast it's coming!!!! :D  ) and am having my ceremony and reception all at one venue.  It's an old church that's been converted into a fine dining restaurant and is amazing gorgeous with the best food ever!!   

I've planned a 3pm ceremony which I expect will last approx 30-40 minutes, everyone will move outside for a group shot on the stairs in front of the venue, a recieving line, then folks will move to the side patio for cocktails/hors d'oeuvres.   At this point we're looking at a 5:30 start to the reception (intros, first dance, cake cutting) and dinner. 

My question... we're looking at approximately 1 1/2 hours for the cocktail party.  Is that too long?  We're having most of the photos taken before the ceremony but will be doing the family shots and some more couple shots after the ceremony.  My fiance and I really want to be part of the cocktail time so we can spend time with our guests but now I'm worried that they'll get bored waiting so long.

Any thoughts?

thanks!
V. 
84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)

Re: new here! Have a question re: cocktail hour

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!

It does sound quite long especially if you're having it all at one venue. Depends on what kind of entertainment you have though. I remember one wedding where a 1-hr cocktail hour felt excruciatingly long because there was no entertainment and few chairs. (Especially painful for women in heels!) But at another wedding, a 1-1/2 hr cocktail hour felt OK because there was lots of seating, lots of food, and 2 bands for entertainment.

If there's no way to change that schedule, then just make sure your guests are well taken care of. :)

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    It's beeter than being left to fend for yourself for hours. I was at a wedding once where the ceremony was at 12 and the reception was at 6. Leaves a lot of time in between.

I think an hour and a half should be fine as long as the food and drinks keep coming :)

Congrats BTW!

I'm June 3rd :D
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my photographer suggested we do 1 1/2 hour cocktail hour so we would have more time for pictures. at first i thought it was a good idea but then we changed our minds and are just doing an hour. it's up to you though. i don't really remember how long cocktail hours are at weddings. as PP said if i'm having a good time with good company and food and snacks i don't know how much time has gone by, but i've been to cocktail hours and i've been bored mainly been bored. if you can have some sort of entertainment like a musician, etc that would help fill the time.
  • edited December 2011
    IT's FINE!

Bottom line: so long as there are drinks and hors d'oeurves served during that time, guests know what you are doing and that you'll be back. Its fine. They can always make their way into the reception area so that they are seated upon your arrival. People are generally easy going during happy occasions :)  And the few who do complain... well they are generally the people that would complain about anything, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  I hope it works out ok and that no one gets bored.  At any rate, there will be food, drinks and live music (and of course *us* to talk too ;)  ) so it shouldn't be too bad!   Now if I only could be guaranteed that it won't rain that day.... !  
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards