Canada-Ontario
Options

Durham Region Wedding Venue - ceremony and reception at one spot

Just engaged! Planning a wedding for August 2012.

My FI and I are looking for the ideal place to have both the ceremony and reception in the Durham Region area. Currently our list includes the Ajax Convention Center, Heydenshore Pavilion and Skyloft. Does anyone have comments regarding these places? Good and bad news wanted... Also, does anyone have other venue ideas in the Durham Region area? We are looking to stay away from golf courses just because we have attended numerous weddings in the area.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Durham Region Wedding Venue - ceremony and reception at one spot

• Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Lakehouse in Pickering I've heard has great receptions!

I've been to a wedding at Heydenshore 3 years ago - it's a blank slate, but it needs a lot to be "done up" and not look like a gym, so you need to determine your decor budget.  I think Ajax would be the same.  You also need to bring in your own caterer and bar staff, etc.  I believe they have a few preferred vendors to choose from.

I went to a wedding at Skyloft this past summer - BEAUTIFUL view and a great room to dress up!  The food was excellent as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Newcastle Town hall? if you want to be married outside they have a beautiful gazebo, and inside is absolutely stunning. here are some pics. Prices are really reasonable, and i can give you some insider tips on the place (thats where i am getting married in august of 2011!) 

Its JUST outside the durham region... because its in clarington... but well worth it. The prices are phenomenal... 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi there... I live in Durham and I checked out a couple of places.  I'm actually getting married in toronto... but wanted to chirp in on this post.

I checked out the ACC and I think it's great for a reception.  Not a big fan of having a wedding indoors there in a converted banquet room. 

I think some of the great places for ceremonies is:
    -Parkwood in Oshawa outdoors and pictures there also
    - Trafalgar Castle in the cool church and use of ground for pictures.

The lakehouse is good for receptions but crappy for outdoor photos and indoors to get married is not that nice.
    If you get married somewhere then go to Deer Creek in Ajax for the reception and just look at it from the point of view as a reception... it's nice inside there.

I heard that Nestellton Waters is nice but have never checked it out.  Worth it to look. 

Not a fan of Tosca in whitby.  Pretty crappy that they think getting married beside the 401 with high walls to hide the powerlines is a good idea. ''

How many people are you thinking about having?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    KatieV10KatieV10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi there,

I will be getting married at Heydenshore in September and like Littlin said, it is a very blank slate.  If you don't want to spend a lot on decor, do not choose there.  My decor bill is thru the roof.  It all works out in the end though since you can bring in your own catering and liqour. 
    You can also have your ceremony on the property behind the building as well.  We are thinking of going to the gazebo a little down the road.

Newcastle Town hall would be worth looking into aswell like lipshtix mentioned.

Congrats and good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding reception at the Lakehouse and LOVED it - so gorgeous.  I don't know if they do ceremony set-ups too... but there are several churches closeby or you can even do it on the beach which is steps away.

• Options
    The New SarahThe New Sarah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your ideas.

I looked into Tosca, and agree, not so ceremony and picture friendly but gorgeous inside.

As for the Lakehouse, I looked into that but am not too fond of the catering options.
    The Newcastle town Hall is definitley somewhere I will look into, the pictures are stunning and your comments are very helpful.

My cousin was just married at Nestleton Waters and it was fabulous but I can't do a repeat.

Thanks again ladies, your comments are very helpful and will push me in the right direction. Keep suggestions coming!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad we could all help! here is my email if you need any more info about Newcastle town hall. You can also bring in caterers and buy your own liquor! we landed an amazing caterer... email me! 

rebecca.lowery@rci.rogers.com

xo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Cenetennial Building in Whitby, I believe its the old courthouse.  Nice building but it depends on the size of your guest list-looks like it can hold up to 100 ppl.

http://www.town.whitby.on.ca/index.php?page=164

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickharris/36968375/

• Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I attended a wedding at the Ajax Convention Centre and it was beautiful. The food and drinks were great and the people staff were friendly. It looks much better than it sounds.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Ajax convention centre in July...
    So far, I am very impressed with them and the facility!  I really didn't want to have the ceremony there as well, but due to money and convience, we are having both the ceremony and reception there.  If you can afford it, they convert the middle ballroom into the ceremony room and it looks gorgeous!  Everyone that I talk to who has their wedding at the ACC gives rave reviews... The location is perfect... Ajax is pretty much a middle groud!  and they have the hotel, which will give you some rooms at a discount for some of your guests.
    Good luck with planning and congratulations!!!
  • Options
    mashavoomashavoo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    have you tried kinsmen heritage center..my wedding is there june 17th 2012..ceremony and reception.,.its in ajax
    Mashavoo
  • Options
    Orca11Orca11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to one wedding and heard of several others at Skyloft, and it was great. I actually live nearby and used to love running to the top of the hills in the summer and just taking in the view towards the city and the lake. It's a gorgeous view at sunset, and with all the windows in the main room as well as the outer deck, all your guests can really enjoy it.
    Another place I looked into, not in Durham Region though, but truly loved, was Toronto Botanical Gardens. They have two rooms, one that fits about 80-90 ppl comfortably, and another that could fit anywhere between 100-250 ppl. Each room had its own private outdoor ceremony area with gorgeous streams or waterfall and planted all around, and the guests would have access to wander Edwards Gardens in between ceremony and reception if you wanted a break, plus its a great place to get some awesome photos of you and FH. Room rental with staffing and taxes and all the fees included for the day was $1500, bigger rm was 2500.
    Third option, and you'll notice the outdoorsy theme, is Kortright conservation center, in Richmond Hill. Ceremony in the trees, reception either under a trellis ceiling of arbors or indoors, great prices and food options. Check it out, I have a few friends who really want their weddings there too, its just so fun and different.
    Hope this helps! I did a lot of searching and bugging people to find my venue  (a golf course, so you won't be interested), but it was worth it to really look into each one and find the places/aspects I was most happy with.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

changed wedding venues from the kinsmen heritage center..to the lake house in pickering..its a beauty!!!

Mashavoo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards