Canada-Ontario
Options

Catholic brides pls help with wedding program

Hi ladies,

I'm making my wedding program I was wondering if anyone can help me insert cues ie pls, stand or sit in the program. In a regular mass I know when to sit and stand up but I'm not quite sure about a wedding.

I can post my program on here too.

I also posted on the catholic wedding board anyway no response there but I was wondering if it would be tacky to let people know to not take photographs when the ceremony has started as well as not to be going up to the altar. How can I say this politely? 

edit: here is my program sorry for the large text I copied and paste it from word.

The Order of the Celebration

Prelude

Classical Music and Baroque Repertoire

Processional Music

Martial Aire by Henry Purcell

Entry of Bridal Party

Entry of Presiding Priest/Deacon

Entrance Hymn

Joyful, JoyFul, We Adore You

Ludwig van Beethoven

Celebrate – 92, Tune: Hymn to Joy, CBW III - 511

Introductory Rites and Welcomes

Opening Prayer

Liturgy of the Word

Scripture Reading (1st Reading)

Old Testament

A reading from the Song of Songs.

Songs 2.8-12, 14,16a; 8.6-7a.

Psalm (Read or Sung by soloist)

Psalm 128.1-2, 3-4, 5-6

Scripture Reading (2nd Reading)

New Testament

A reading from the Letter of Saint Paul

to the Corinthians.

Corinthians 13. 1-13

Acclamation

Alleluia – CBW III - 255

If we love one another, God will live in us in perfect love.

Gospel

A reading from the holy gospel

according to Mark.

Mark 10. 6-9

Homily

Rite of Marriage

Introduction

Exchange of Vows

Blessing and Exchange of Rings

General Intercessions

Our Father

Nuptial Blessing

Concluding Prayer

Final Blessing

Signing of Documents

Ave Maria – Camille Saint-Saens

Final Procession (Music)

Trumpet Tune by Jeremiah Clarke

Re: Catholic brides pls help with wedding program

• Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would ask your pastor about the proper placement of the cues - it depends on what is in your service.

I don't think it's tacky at all to mention the photographs - I would put a small statement in the bulletin/program with your request, and you can also have the ushers mention it to people as they come in.  If there is an issue an usher can quietly remind the person about the "rule" - blame it on the church and tell your guests it is the church's rule.

StephieBow has a Catholic service as well and can probably also offer advice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_catholic-brides-pls-wedding-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:6a5250a8-e1f4-42a6-bbc4-7b86a38c49cbPost:11bd8f74-d3ce-43b5-8af2-befe99bcaf3b">Re: Catholic brides pls help with wedding program</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would ask your pastor about the proper placement of the cues - it depends on what is in your service. I don't think it's tacky at all to mention the photographs - I would put a small statement in the bulletin/program with your request, and you can also have the ushers mention it to people as they come in.  If there is an issue an usher can quietly remind the person about the "rule" - blame it on the church and tell your guests it is the church's rule. StephieBow has a Catholic service as well and can probably also offer advice.
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hi,</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm just having a ceremony maybe I should post it up and see if anyone responds. I would imagine its the same in any catholic church when you sit and stand?

</div>
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a Catholic wedding last summer.  I honestly wouldn't worry about cues - people who don't know will do what others who are Catholic do.  Also, the priest or someone just before the ceremony can go up and make an announcement - that isn't tacky I don't think.  I've been to many weddings where it has been done that way.  Our priest didn't mind pictures, as long as they weren't during the "mass" portion of the wedding, and he mentioned that himself, but not in a harsh way at all. 
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you do want cues, I think most are the same as a regular mass - stand at the beginning as a welcome, Gospel, Our Father, and he also might ask everyone to stand for the nuptial blessing and final blessing & prayer.  There shouldn't be any kneeling without a full mass.  Again, I'm sure if people aren't sure, the priest will say "and now will you please stand and join me in the nuptial prayer", etc.  

Ringy had a Catholic mass too, so I`m sure she`ll confirm for you!
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup, the sit and stand cues are pretty much the same as a regular mass (though you're not having the actual mass so it's even simpler!)

I agree with Littlin, I wouldn't worry too much about the cues as priests often announce them for stuff like weddings (where they know that a lot of people may not be Catholic). But since you asked:

If the priest is processing in from the back, the congregation would stand before the procession like Sunday mass. Otherwise they stand either when the bridal party enters or just before you enter, I think this is something you can work out with your priest. (I'm not 100% sure about this as I feel like people ought to be standing when the priest is standing at the front, but I don't think it's always like that at weddings.) Sit after all the opening prayers. Stand for the gospel acclamation and sit after the gospel. Stand for general intercessions, sit for the signing of the register, and stand for the recessional.

I've been to many Catholic weddings with varying numbers of non-Catholic guests and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually run up to the altar all camera happy, lol... or at least, not indiscreetly. Usually having a priest or usher announce it before the ceremony is very effective.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    naomikb - thanks for that :P

Yes, I am also having a Catholic Ceremony.  We opted to not put in the cues because to honest, most people don't follow along that closely.  The standing and sitting and kneeling all fall within the same guidelines as regular mass. If your family is anything like mine, there will be enough Catholics in attendance that everyone else can just follow suit - thats what most people do anyway (and what I always do at church, for the life of me I can never remember to stand on time!)

Just as a side note, the last 3 Catholic weddings I've been to also didn't put in the cues, they did what you've done above!

Hope that helps!
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_catholic-brides-pls-wedding-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:6a5250a8-e1f4-42a6-bbc4-7b86a38c49cbPost:5548e654-1374-4b8f-bf2f-c2c640b1c5e9">Re: Catholic brides pls help with wedding program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yup, the sit and stand cues are pretty much the same as a regular mass (though you're not having the actual mass so it's even simpler!) I agree with Littlin, I wouldn't worry too much about the cues as priests often announce them for stuff like weddings (where they know that a lot of people may not be Catholic). But since you asked: If the priest is processing in from the back, the congregation would stand before the procession like Sunday mass. Otherwise they stand either when the bridal party enters or just before you enter, I think this is something you can work out with your priest. (I'm not 100% sure about this as I feel like people ought to be standing when the priest is standing at the front, but I don't think it's always like that at weddings.) Sit after all the opening prayers. Stand for the gospel acclamation and sit after the gospel. Stand for general intercessions, sit for the signing of the register, and stand for the recessional. I've been to many Catholic weddings with varying numbers of non-Catholic guests and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually run up to the altar all camera happy, lol... or at least, not indiscreetly. Usually having a priest or usher announce it before the ceremony is very effective.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hi,</div><div>Thanks for your help.  70% of our guest our non catholic and some are catholic but do not really go to church often enough to remember when to sit or stand. As well we have a lot of kids coming and they might get curious and go up to the altar after the ceremony or even before because at my FI's church they can do this. My Fi thinks its a good idea to include in the program the pictures and not going up to the altar. </div><div>
    </div><div>At the church I am getting married at I have heard many accounts when people have taken photos while the ceremony is happening and the priest had stopped the ceremony and yelled at the people who were taking photos. I do not want this to happen at our wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>At a regular mass, usually the priest enters from the side but I believe the birdal party enters then me with the processional song. Then the priest comes then that;s when we sing Joyful Joyful. I can't be too sure either if the priest will walk in front of me after the bridal party had entered but I do not see this happening as I will walk with the processional song.

</div>
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a rehearsal?  It sounds like you have some things to discuss with your priest about cue announcements, processional lineup, etc.  Maybe it's worth dropping in on a Sunday morning or making an appointment with him?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_catholic-brides-pls-wedding-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:6a5250a8-e1f4-42a6-bbc4-7b86a38c49cbPost:315554df-bc27-4df9-9476-5188db701bc4">Re: Catholic brides pls help with wedding program</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have a rehearsal?  It sounds like you have some things to discuss with your priest about cue announcements, processional lineup, etc.  Maybe it's worth dropping in on a Sunday morning or making an appointment with him?
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes we have a rehearsal but its 2 days before the wedding. I do have a wedding coordinator and she is the one that I talk to when I have questions. I have asked so many questions already and part of me feels like I'm being annoying. The coordinator is really great though. I might just send her an email asking her about the cues.</div>
  • Options
    StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find now at a lot of Catholic Weddings the priest will say "please stand..." etc giving cues knowing that a chunk of the guests won't know what's going on.
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards