Canada-Ontario

Newbie seeks recommendations for GTA west

Hi all! 

I'm newly engaged and beginning the treacherous hunt for a wedding venue. The ceremony will be taking place in either Oakville or Georgetown (still deciding based on reception choice). Initially we fell in love with some places downtown, but have decided for our guests sake, to keep it simple in the west end. 

We are doing a cocktail and lunch reception, for about 60-70 people. Small, casual, intimate, not very traditional and no dancing/dj. More cocktail style, but with a sit down lunch. 

I'm having a really tough time with venue selection. I love the idea of having a lake-front venue (Harbour Banquet Centre, Oakville/Spencers Waterfront, Burlington), but would rather go a different route than the traditional banquet hall feel. 

Can anyone recommend any good, trendy restaurants that might be suitable? Initially - we were looking at two places in the Distillery, and Canoe as our venues. 

The last resort would be a golf club - if anyone has any positive/negative experiences in the area, I welcome those.

Broad in nature I know, but if anyone can provide any insight or recommendations, I'd totally appreciate it! 

Thanks!

Nicole 

Re: Newbie seeks recommendations for GTA west

• raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Spencer's in Burlington would be fabulous, especially if you can make use of the reflecting pool.  That was one of the places we thought about, but our group was a bit too big, I think.  I would have suggested using the Burlington Art Centre, but Spencer's now blocks most of the lake view!

Most of the Oakvile restaurants are up on Lakeshore, which you'd think would be waterside, but nope.  I'm not too familiar with what's in Bronte.

I'm not sure if it would be too "traditional" but the Paletta Mansion in Burlington (run by the city) is really beautiful and right on the water.  We did our e-pics there.  I've seen pictures from a wedding there and it was really nice.  I believe they can do sit down for 75.

Again in Burlington is Pepperwoods restaurant.  Not as modern as, say, Spencer's, but their food is fantastic (they do the catering for the RBG, where we had our ceremony and reception).

Someone else might be able to chime in with more to the east of Oakville.  I grew up in Burlington and now work in Oakville, so I know those areas better!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • suellen2bwedsuellen2bwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were doing Sunday brunch, I really wanted it to be outside by the lake so we are going with Liuna Gardens and using the tent, however our second choice would have been Eastdell, they do weddings, but they also have a Sunday brunch, you might be able to book the dinning room for their last seating, there is also some lovely places to have the ceremony there. It is right up on the bench in Beemsville and has a beautiful view with huge deck on one side.
    Happy hunting
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it's in Toronto, but Sunnyside Pavilion is beautiful and right on the lake. Faily easy for people to get to from Oakville or Georgetown. 

You could also look into different Yacht clubs along the lake, I know there are tons along the lake from Toronto all the way down to Niagara.  Even if you are a non member, they may have a sponsorship committee that allows non members to have special events. (That's how I got into my venue!)

I settled on a golf club myself in the west end of Toronto... they can be really beautiful and don't have the "hall" feel which I was also trying to avoid :)

Good Luck!
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards