Canada-Ontario
Options

Name Change Question - Maiden to Middle XP

Hi Ladies!

Has anyone done any research on changing your name?    I have been trying to do my research and feel like I'm spinning in circles.   I am very connected to my maiden name, but would also like to create a new family unit with FI and share a name with him.   Ideally, I would like to make my maiden name a second middle name.    I know that in Ontario there are 2 ways to change a name:

1) Assume the last name (the easy way) -- you take on his last name and your birth certificate stays the same.   Your name will change on all other official documents: healthcard, license, passport, etc.  It's a lot less paperwork.  

2) Full name change (the hard way) -- when you do a full name change, you receive a new birth certificate with your spouses name on it.  This weirds me out.  I was not FI's last name when I was born, so why would I do this? 

From the research I have done, it seems that the only way to change my maiden name into a middle name is to change my birth certificate.  I really do not feel comfortable doing that.

Does anybody have any insight?  Can I assume a new middle name and a new last name?  I have read the Ontario government webpage about it, but am still unsure. 
~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Name Change Question - Maiden to Middle XP

• Options
    You say you want to make your maiden name your second middle name - so in daily life you wouldn't actually be using your maiden name? You wouldn't be introducing yourself as Jane Smith Murphy? Do you want your maiden name to still appear on your ID - ie. credit cards, where your middle name normally doesn't appear? Then I would just assume it as an unhyphenated double last name. Otherwise, if you just want to make your maiden name a second middle name and not actually use it in daily life, then you will have to change your birth certificate.
  • Options
    I will be using my maiden name as my middle name and taking on (assuming) FI's last name as I'm a believer in family members having one name.  I'm just not sure how that works on paper.  I know my g/f did it, and just assumed her hubby's last name.  Perhaps you can email Service Canada about it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards