Canada-Ontario

Opinions on florist costs, mostly for labour

I am able to get the bulk of my flowers for free but I need someone to arrange the bouquets and things like that.

I have visited one florist who was willing to charge $1000 for the flowers I want.
1 bridal bouquet
3 bridesmaid bouquets
1 jr bridesmaid bouquet
2 flower girl baskets
9-10 bouts (2 for children)
2 corsages
That would include flowers.

I asked her just the labour costs if I supplied all the roses. etc. (For the most part it's all roses) She would charge $250 if I used my own flowers.

Are these average prices? What do you think is a fair labour cost if I supply the flowers and they supply labour and hardware. (ribbon, etc)

Re: Opinions on florist costs, mostly for labour

• unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't know what labour costs for florists are but $250 to do all that sounds quite fair to me.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think $1000 for just that is kind of expensive... my flower budget is $1000 but that includes 2 ceremony arrangements and 14 centerpieces (along with most of what you have).  That of course depends on what flowers you use but if it's mostly roses and no imported tropical stuff then I can't see that affecting the price too much.

I have no idea how much labour costs, but I think $250 sounds fair (if not on the high end) for that work.

For comparison, here are some of my prices (flowers and labour and hardware and vases and everything):
    bride bouquet - $120
    BM bouquet - $55
    bouts - $9
    corsages - $14
    FG pomanders - $20 (although I decided to make my own)
    delivery to 3 locations - $40
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $1000 does seem expensive for what you are listing, however, if you are supplying your own flowers, $250 seems reasonable for labour (often florists may build labour costs into their flower cost if they are purchasing).
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info.  It seems like it might be better just to go with my own flowers.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, that sounds very, very reasonable.

I've helped out with flowers for a couple of weddings that size and I can tell you that I worked and entire afternoon and evening. Mind you, I'm very much an amateur so I'm sure a professional could do it in half the time... but her skill and experience are exactly what you're paying for. Not to mention that if she assembles all those bouquets, she'll also save you the hassle of storing them (finding fridge space etc.) which is not trivial either!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    I guess that makes my mind up :)
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $250 is very reasonable. My MIL is a florist and she did our centerpieces and my bouquet (we supplied the flowers) and it took her approx. 11 hours.
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With taxes in, my floral cost is $1300....For that I got:

15 corsages
    15 bouts
    1 bridal bouquet (and a tossing bouquet!)
    5 BM bouquets
    4 FG arrangements
    15 centrepieces
    1 church arrangement
    2 tall arrangements for the venue

That also includes set up and delivery but I am providing my own vases.
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_opinions-florist-costs-mostly-labour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:ab9dbcae-6852-46df-8188-969b7d6d484aPost:0a42ed11-a8df-462c-bb0d-b368be3c5ec4">Re: Opinions on florist costs, mostly for labour</a>:
    [QUOTE]With taxes in, my floral cost is $1300....For that I got: 15 corsages 15 bouts 1 bridal bouquet (and a tossing bouquet!) 5 BM bouquets 4 FG arrangements 15 centrepieces 1 church arrangement 2 tall arrangements for the venue That also includes set up and delivery but I am providing my own vases.
    Posted by StephieBow[/QUOTE]

Who did your flowers, if you don't mind letting me know? That sounds great!
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going to send you a PM now with all of her information!
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards