Canada-Ontario
Options

Shipping a dress from US to Canada

PLEASE HELP!
I am looking at buying a used dress on PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com and I have a budget to keep and I don't want to go over because of a duty tax.

Has anyone paid duty on a used dress? If so how much was the duty fee?

Re: Shipping a dress from US to Canada

• Options
    Dexter2009Dexter2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi I am new to the board. But I actually bought two dresses through pre-owned dresses (I could not decide and the prices were reasonable...now I have bought a third because my fiance does not like the style, so the third dress will be for the reception). The two other dresses were $500 & $650 and the duty I had to pay UPS $145. for each of them (although I think some of this may have been for a broker (someone has to be responsible at the border)  fee that typically is not required when you order through a business).

I think that the dresses were so reasonable that the fee was worth it!

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Need a DressNeed a Dress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes that gives me an idea of what to expect. Thank you!
  • Options
    Canuck1043Canuck1043 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Technically if you are buying something used, you really shouldn't have to pay duty (unless it's a car or something more significant). If you can, get it shipped through USPS, they seem to be the most reasonable when shipping things into Canada.

Good luck with the dress!!!

(p.s. I have a dress for sale on pre-owned...you could always buy that one and not have to pay duty for sure--ok kidding, but it was worth a shot).
  • Options
    Dexter2009Dexter2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Please note that the fees did not include the shipping. I requested that the sellers ship the dresses via UPS  and purchase insurance...I am not sure about the comment regarding used and application of duty, as one of the sellers actually noted that the dress was a "gift" . Perhaps the flag was the insurance however, I drather be able to track the package and have it insured then forgo that and send USPS, and take a chance at it going missing and be out the dress and the money....But the decision is obviously a personal one.

• Options
    rktorkto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my sister mailed my bridesmaid dress to me and it was already purchased.  the broker fee and the insurance cost the most.  She claimed the value in case it was lost, not realizing about the fees, etc.  The dress was $150 and the fees were close to $80.00. so make sure you get your costs upfront since my cost was COD
  • Options
    FMMFMM
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Canuck1043 is right -- there are no duties or taxes on used clothing being shipped between the US, Canada and Mexico. So as long as the dress isn't in its original packaging, it can be labelled as a "preowned clothing item" and won't be taxed.

Also, if you're looking to save, you should try http://www.recycledbride.com -- they don't charge any fees to the sellers and so they get a lot of good listings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My dress was preowned and shipped from the US.  I was shipped right to my door and I did not have to pay any duty.  Just paid for shipping + cost of gown.  Really lucked out.  Found the dress I wanted and tried on at the bridal shop which cost $1299 before taxes and was able to buy used for $550 shipped CDN.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards