Canada-Ontario

*Littlin*

Hi! How is your wedding planning going for the Fairmont? I am getting married there too in July in the Imperial Room. So far everything is going really well, I'm just starting to work on lighting etc. would love to compare notes!! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *Littlin*

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow...lighting...haven't even thought about that, lol.  I don't even know the choices!

My plans are going great but I'm having a hard time getting my catering manager to email me back - it's not good!  Also, she said that our contract says that we have to do a tasting between 11-1 Mon-Fri, but actually our contract does NOT say that so supposedly she's talking to the chef.  It would be hard to get 6 people who don't live in Toronto down there for the afternoon - I would have to take a sick day!  So I'm a bit frustrated with her and her lack of communication.

I have my linens and chair covers rented, using the RY napkins, and I have my head table decor done.  I am waiting on numbers to get a final layout.  Also, we booked night before rooms and increased our block of rooms for the night of (they are booking fast for Aug 7, however, as there is another wedding in the big ballroom).

How are your plans going?
  • edited December 2011
    My plans are going pretty well! We had to switch catering managers half way through which was annoying but we seem on track now. I agree, it is annoying about the tasting! We live in Kingston and it was really hard to find a day when FI could get off work so we could go and do that! We are going to TO for a few days in April and are going to do it then! We are serving the lamb rack trio or the arctic char so I'm looking forward to tasting!!

For the lighting you have to get a quote from an in-house lighting company....We are doing coloured uplighting and a spot light (hopefully). If you are doing a slideshow or anything they are the ones to talk to. His name is Serge, his e-mail is skijner@psav.com. I am waiting for the quote to come in...a little bit scared, LoL! I might get the fog machine for the first dance too, it's like $350 or something though! We're having the George St. Kitts band, I need to check if they bring their own lighting or not!!

Anyway would love to compare more notes!! It is fun to touch base with someone having their wedding at the same venue!
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I don't think I'm doing any lighting stuff or smoke machines or anything like that - but all that sounds fun!

Since our contract doesn't have that tasting time clause in it, we are having the tasting on a Friday evening (4:30pm) in June - FI fought for it so I was happy - found out today!  I think we are going with the beef tenderloin, a simple salad, but I am most excited for that chocolate dessert trio - yum!  We are having passed hot and cold apps for cocktail hour as well, and a late night station mix of sweets and savouries.

What are you doing for your decor - what are your colours and what are you doing for linens, head table, etc.?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing the chocolate dessert trio too, and passed hot and cold apps for cocktail hour as well! We are doing 8 per person I think? For our late night station we will serve the wedding cake, some traditional portuguese pastries, and then a crazy seafood buffet (my fmil is completely obsessed with the seafood buffet...it is apparently a Portuguese tradition to bring happiness to the new couple, but I think she just wants to serve more food!!)

I'm doing my tasting in April, so I can let you know how it goes!  Our colours are dark purple and gold, what about you? I'm not sure what we're doing for the head table yet, but I have cynthia martyn doing the decor so I am sure it will be beautiful. I think we are going to do a sweetheart table right across from the stage on the opposite side of the room, and then we're thinking a long rectangular table for the bridal party (I think). I haven't really sorted out the linens yet, I think we are going to do gold? maybe? what are your colours? the carpet in the imperial room is reallllly bold isn't it! 

I think we are going to drape off the cocktail area so it is not as open, and we are doing some tall trees in there! I can't wait!! we are also having our ceremony right at the hotel! 
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our head table in the same spot (the ideal spot, really), but we are doing a sort of crescent shaped table (2 quarters and a long table), so that everyone in the BP can see one another (there are 10 of us total).  Our colours are creams and ivories, plus some navy accents.  I wanted to keep the decor very simple as you are correct, the colour of the carpet and the room itself can hold its own.  Ivory damask linens and plain ivory chair covers, plus some swag on the head table.

Please let me know how the tasting goes!  Did they tell you how many entrees, and other stuff you were allowed to try?
  • edited December 2011
    She said we can choose 2 salads, 2 soups, 2 intermezzos, our main (I am assuming we can taste both dinner options we chose), and two desserts, plus we get to taste the house wines as well! I'm excited! I will let you know how it all is! : ) 
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's good to know - thanks!  What about passed appetizers and late night stuff?
  • edited December 2011
    They just got back to me about that! They seem really easy going about the tasting; ie. we are trying 3 salads as we're not serving soup. Here is their response about the apps. Are you doing any stations?

How does it work for choosing the passed reception items? How many of these can we try to decide?  REPLY: If you can choose 6 hot and 6 cold to taste, we can do that and then you can choose 3 hot and 3 cold.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL, we probably have the same catering manager - Carole?  Or do you have Ashley?  It sounds like the same answer she gave me.

We are trying 5 of each hot and cold canapes, 2 salads, 2 mains, one dessert (I want that chocolate trio!), and all 4 late night savoury station items, plus the house wine.  

We changed the tasting to 4:30 one afternoon in June, because it supposedly was supposed to be in our contract that says tastings are only 11-1pm, but it is not in ours, so we lucked out!

For sure let me know what you think of what you taste!
  • edited December 2011
    Ha ha we did have Ashley - then we got switched over to Carole! There's a long story behind that. 

I want that chocolate trio too! We are trying both of the trio options as well, you should too he he he!!! 
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    See I am trying to do the opposite, but I know Ashley is getting married this summer so I don' t think it will happen...

Hmmm - I should - why WOULDN'T I try two desserts???
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh - we had our tasting last week and it was beyond to-die-for! I was expecting to be impressed with the food, but honestly - I was completely blown away, and so was FI and his parents (yay!). They do a nice sit-down meal in the kitchen (sounds odd, but it works), and you get to sit with the chef and your contact. Seriously....don't eat until you get there! We had sooooo much food! Everything was delicious....the chocolate trio was amazing....have fun! Oh also you get to try the wine, and the champagne, FUN!!!! It was one of the best wedding things ever!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards