Canada-Ontario

Hair/Makeup / Flowers

Hi girls,

Who are you using for your hair and makeup and how much are you paying for it.

Also, did anybody order bulk flowers from costco? I wonder if they are good quality. We might do centerpieces ourselves so i'm looking into different options.

Thanks!

Re: Hair/Makeup / Flowers

• LittlinLittlin member
    1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    I went to a salon for my hair, and used a MAC artist for my makeup who came to us.  She was excellent - way above and beyond my expectations! She charged $60/girl.  If you want her email, please send me a PM! :)
  • edited December 2011

The Cutting Edge in Milton will charge $80 -I only know 1 stylist that I would feel comfortable recommending, because I don't go to that salon (my mom does my hair!). A trial would be $80 as well so altogether $160, but you don't need a trial. No makeup artist on staff.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ring_popring_pop member
    2500 Comments
    edited December 2011
    I used a girl named Czarina for my hair and was really happy with her. I'll PM you her contact info. She has a partner who does makeup, but I did my own so I can't speak about her from personal experience. I know others who have had great experiences with her partner though.

My brother's GF has done a few small wedding flower jobs and she sometimes orders the Costco flowers. They are great and I know at least one bride who was really happy with them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I met my hair and makeup girl at a wedding show, where she did my hair and makeup, and she totally rocked it!  I looked fantastic and it's more than I had intended to pay, but I honestly looked so fabulous that I decided I would pay the extra.

As quoted, "I think we should start from scratch for your hair, that means blowdrying, then doing a curl set, brushing it out and finishing the front. That will take about an hour and 1/2 and cost $125.00, brides makeup usually costs $75."

She also charges a travel fee for outside of downtown GTA.

If you want a photo, let me know - I took photos of my pics at the photobooth, and can PM you it with contact information, if you want.

The look I'm aiming for is curls to go with a 1950s style circle dress that I've pretty much decided on, though she's also recommended a few stores on Queen West to look into.
  • orangecrayonorangecrayon member
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Im using my hair dresser here in Ajax, he charges $150-300 on my hair, depending on how much detail I want in it and how big. He had charged me $160 on my engagement hair and it was amazing. His wife does makeup and she charges around $75.

• CanRusCanRus member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Thanks a lot for the info girls.

My hairdresser is away the weekend I have my wedding and I'm a bit concerned going anywhere else. 

I guess i have no choice and i will do trials to see if I like the outcome. My moms hair dresser cut my hair ones and i didn't like it, but she said she'll do my hair for the wedding for $60!!! Plus she doesn't charge any travel fees. Sounds very tempting, i'm going to try her out and see if I like her work. Unfortunately i have a feeling i wont.

As for flowers from costco, they supply roses - 125 of them for $130! That's amazing since we are thinking of doing our own center pieces. But once again i'm worried about the quality of the flowers. ring_pop thanks for the info, i feel a bit better about it. I will try to go and takl to them over the weekend to see what our options are.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    I've had 5 PM's about my makeup person, so here's the contact for everyone (this is the message I have already sent some):

My MAC makeup artist's name is Zenah - you can contact her at [email protected]  She was excellent!  Christina was great too - she threw out her back the day before the wedding and had Zenah fill in for her for my wedding - stressful, but my makeup turned out really well.  Her email is [email protected]  Both are highly recommended! 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, LIttlin.

CanRus  -I'm nervous about my hair also! My mom does my hair, but she works on her own out of her basement salon. My good friend's sister is a highly recommended stylist, but she's pregnant and due in Sept so she didn't want to book me in case she went into labour early. My hair is NOT easy to work with -its thin but I have tons so I can't have it all up and it doesn't take a curl well.

Ahh it will all work out eventually. Where's that fairy godmother when you need her?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LittlinLittlin member
    1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Car&Ry - with your hair, I think you can definitely do an updo - there are tons of intricate styles even with a lot of hair!  I wouldn't suggest trying to curl it - it won't hold well and you don't normally do it.  You have it pulled back in your little profile picture - something like that with a bit more detail in the actual updo part of it.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    http://www.projectwedding.com/ - this is an EXCELLENT resource for hair and makeup inspiration pictures, by the way! Go to "photos" - the leftmost tab near the top, and then you can search for hair, and go to "sort photos" to select the hair type.  You can do the same for all sorts of wedding inspiration - decor, flowers, etc.  They have thousands of pictures - from celebrities and real brides too!
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.gemini-image.com/sub/weddings.html
    I'm going with Gemini Image, the prices are great and when victoria did my trial it looked gorgeous.
    Moni G xo BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards