Canada-Ontario

MOB Dresses - What is your's wearing?

My mom is 5'3 and very slim. I can't even imagine her in a shiny taffeta dress jacket combo. It would totally overwhelm her! EAT her alive! LOL

I also wouldn't want her in a too young or too skimpy dress as I know she would be uncomfortable.

Our wedding will be semi formal - evening and I want her to look beautiful, and maybe a lil bit sexy.

Are your mom's wearing traditional MOB style outfits or are they mixing it up? We need ideas!

Re: MOB Dresses - What is your's wearing?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our moms wore traditional Inidian & Chinese outfits. They looked great IMO :)

FWIW my mom is probably 5'2" and very slim, and his mom is like 5'0".

https://sites.google.com/site/ringpopmarriedbio/formal-photos
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • gillbrittongillbritton member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom refused to wear any typical MOB dresses. She says they all look like old lady 'frocks.' So we went shopping EVERYWHERE and she found a cute dress at Melanie Lynne. It's black and mom-ish but not old. I personally don't care what colour she wears...but I know some brides might not be OK with black. Totally up to you!
    IAmPregnant Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your mom sounds like mine. We did go shopping and she tried on some of the traditional MOB stuff, but it was hilarious... usually the smallest size they would have to try on was at least an 18, and my mother at her heaviest in her life was probably still smaller than a 6. I know they could have gotten it to fit her but it just didn't seem right.

She ended up wearing a knit dress with a silver shawl and accessories, and looked elegant and comfortable.
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just found my mom a really nice dress at a store in Ancaster.  It had sort of a layered tiered skirt in black and then a sort of champagne silk bodice with a black lace overlay. 

I don't have any pictures on this computer to show.  Sad face.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ooooooo pretty mommies :D

Maybe I'll take her to Melanie Lynne, and maybe Ann Taylor? I'm not really well versed in mom stores :S

My mom is just so cute, like she totally doesn't look her age. One false move and she could look like she's trying really hard. I'm sure we'll find her something though, there are far worse things to be than thin and hot! LOL
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Mom has been looking everywhere for her dress - not just bridal shops, but basically everywhere that has nice evening gowns.  Just take her out and see what you find.  Plus, usually dresses that aren't marketed as for weddings are cheaper. :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just saw that you said you're not well versed in "mom" stores.  I'll suggest Laura and Cleo as well.  There are also several boutiques downtown that have really gorgeous clothing.  And if your mom has money to burn, there's Holt Renfrew as well.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both moms got their dresses at bridal stores, but my mom definitely didn't want to look like a typical "MOB" who looks more like a grandmother.  You can check out the dresses that they wore on my married bio!
  • edited December 2011
    Littlin - Beautiful pics! I think I figured out who the parents are in the family photos - the greyish taffeta dress is gorgeous :)

Thanks lalap - I'll see about finding a Cleo!
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! That`s DH`s mom!  The original dress looks like this (she added a little wrap to it):
  • KendieEllenKendieEllen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, my mom is quite petite and she didn't want the traditional MOB dress either.  Here are two photos showing what she wore...I think she looked beautiful:

Top of dress - black lace overlayed on slate blue

Short dress, but still appropriate

Definitely tell your mom she can find something fabulous!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards