Canada-Ontario
Options

Bridesmaids dresses: same colour, different style?

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank those who responded to my last inquiry about non-bridal store places to look for bride's dresses. I found a fantastic dress at Fashion Crimes thanks to one responder's suggestion!

Now I need your help again.  I don't want my bridesmaids to all wear the same dress.  They are all very creative people and I want that to come out in their choice of shape and style.  However, I would like all the dresses to be of the same material and colour for the sake of maintaining a coherent theme.  Is there anyone in Toronto that would be able to accomodate this?  My bridemaids aren't flush, so ideally the price would be under $400.

Thanks for your time!

Beth

Re: Bridesmaids dresses: same colour, different style?

• Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking for a seamstress who can make the dresses, a suggestion of bridesmaid designers to look at or stores to check out?

If you're looking for designers, pretty much every designer will let you do this.  Many brides have gone with Alfred Angelo when doing this, though you could also look at Waters, Bill Levkoff, Bari Jay, etc.  $400 is a really high cap.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It would involve going to a bridal store, but the easiest place to get this done would be at a bridal salon.  Pick a designer (Alfred Angelo, Belle Soie, whatever) and a fabric and/or a colour and then let the girls pick a dress shape that suits them.  You could also decide on the length if you wanted it to be consistent.  Most dresses in a line come in a huge variety of colours so there is tons for the girls to choose from.

Most bridesmaid dresses in the common designers are $150-$250 so would be within budget.

Other than that, I am also on the hunt for a local seamstress who can make dresses out of fabric that I pick but on a much lower budget (<$150/dress) so if you find one let me know!
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to Alfred Angelo or anything in the Dessy Collection for tons of dress styles in the same colour - MANY bridal places have these options.  My girls got theirs at The Dressroom.
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_bridesmaids-dresses-same-colour-different-style?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:f5331468-ff48-44ba-a285-4cd22086d44dPost:d738af35-915b-406b-8340-07d6615e015b">Re: Bridesmaids dresses: same colour, different style?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto to Alfred Angelo or <strong>anything in the Dessy Collection</strong> for tons of dress styles in the same colour - MANY bridal places have these options.  My girls got theirs at The Dressroom.
    Posted by Littlin[/QUOTE]
    Careful with the Dessy Collection.  I looked at them with one of my bm's and the dresses were TERRIBLE on.  I think it was the particular material that the colour I wanted came in, but it definitely wasn't good.  If you want to go with Dessy, make sure your girls have a chance to try them on first.
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My girls chose Dessy dresses in "midnight" - navy - they were a chiffon fabric, however.  They were great on the big day! I wasn't a fan of their shiny fabrics.
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the ones we were looking at were peau de soie.  I was looking for a turquoise colour like their aquamarine and the fabric choices were limited.  The dresses are so cute on the model.  It was so disappointing that that didn't extend to real people. :(
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should have no problem finding dresses that offer the same colour & fabric just different styles. Since your girls have a high budget, set up an appointment to go to a bridal store and have them try on different styles so they can get a feel for what looks good on them and what type of fabric and colour you would like them to wear because Royal blue on one fabric, can look different on another fabric (more dense, richer etc).
  • Options
    StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Impressions Bridal can do this and most of their dresses are $250 or less. 
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Netbride.com can order Impression dresses for cheap. If you find a designer and try a dress on, you can order the dresses really cheap.  I think I was looking at Impressiongowns for $125'ish.  Just a though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards