Catholic Weddings
Options

Interfaith wedding two ceremonies in one day help

hi, i need some guidance. I am catholic and my FI is hindu. We both want to be blessed in our respective religions on the day of our wedding. He knows how important a church wedding is for me. Any help on this? I have heard before of catholic/hindu weddings were both had professed their love abd have ceremonies in each religion. I also know it might be difficult on the guests to attend 2 weddings and then a reception on another place. But any help you can provide is appreciated to where to start.

Thanks

Re: Interfaith wedding two ceremonies in one day help

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catholics may not marry in another relgiious ceremony.

Canon 1127

§3. It is forbidden to have another religious celebration of the same marriage to give or renew matrimonial consent before or after the canonical celebration according to the norm of §1. Likewise, there is not to be a religious celebration in which the Catholic who is assisting and a non-Catholic minister together, using their own rites, ask for the consent of the parties.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto agape. You only can have one ceremony. If you would like a priest present for a blessing at the Hindu ceremony, you might be able to get one to do that for you. If not, you and your FI need to sit down and discuss things further. Or perhaps go and talk to your pastor as well as talk to a Catholic priest and see what they say your options are.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the PPs. Talk to your Fi and your preist
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in the exact same boat and going out of my ind trying to figure it out. On a friend's suggestion, I'm looking into an appointment with a Reformed Catholic priest. The Reformed priest who married my friend was a Catholic priest for years, then left the Church but is still a minister and could still marry them with a heavily Catholic influenced ceremony. Something to look into!
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_interfaith-wedding-two-ceremonies-one-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:000ffc9a-e2ac-41cc-9ffd-428789c7ecefPost:e4735b6b-1492-469c-a0e5-138861e006ad">Re: Interfaith wedding two ceremonies in one day help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am in the exact same boat and going out of my ind trying to figure it out. On a friend's suggestion, I'm looking into an appointment with a Reformed Catholic priest. The Reformed priest who married my friend was a Catholic priest for years, then left the Church but is still a minister and could still marry them with a heavily Catholic influenced ceremony. Something to look into!
    Posted by khodg[/QUOTE]

This would not be a valid marriage. The Catholic faith is more than just a cultural backdrop for a wedding. It's not just about the ceremony, but about being in communion with the church. The Catholic could no longer participate in any of the sacraments.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_interfaith-wedding-two-ceremonies-one-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:000ffc9a-e2ac-41cc-9ffd-428789c7ecefPost:e4735b6b-1492-469c-a0e5-138861e006ad">Re: Interfaith wedding two ceremonies in one day help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am in the exact same boat and going out of my ind trying to figure it out. On a friend's suggestion, I'm looking into an appointment with a Reformed Catholic priest. The Reformed priest who married my friend was a Catholic priest for years, then left the Church but is still a minister and could still marry them with a heavily Catholic influenced ceremony. Something to look into!
    Posted by khodg[/QUOTE]

ditto agape.  if hte priest is no longer in communion with Rome, he no longer has the right to administer sacraments.  while it look look like a catholic wedding, it would not be valid.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Kerianis,
    I am in the same situation, I am Catholic and my fiancee is Hindu. My church has informed me that we can have a Catholic wedding and can have a separate blessing in his religious tradition, and that will not violate Catholic canon law as long as I don't consider the second ceremony to be getting married again. Hope that helps, feel free to message me if you have more questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards