Catholic Weddings
Options

Annulment after second marriage? Can this work?

Hi, I know of people who have gone through annulments but  never in the situation my cousin is in. I realize each church might be different but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

My cousin was married and divorced. She was then remarried in a civil ceremony. Now, several months after she is married she has gotten to the point where she really wants this to be accepted in the church. There were grounds for an annulment in the first marriage she just never got one. The marriage really should never have taken place and there are many witnesses to this fact.

Can she get an annulment even though she is remarried? and if she gets the annulment can her marriage be made valid in the church?

Thanks.

Re: Annulment after second marriage? Can this work?

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your cousin is Catholic and was not married in the church, she can have her marriage declared invalid by "lack of form."  That's usually a straightforward and fast process.  However, if the first marriage was done in a church (or if she was not Catholic at the time of the marriages), she will have to go through the annulment process, and that could be difficult.

If annulment/nullification is granted, her subsequent marriage -- if done properly through the church, and this would require pre-cana and a convalidation -- will be recognized as valid.

The first step would be to talk with her priest and explain the situation.  He can help her through the next steps.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

The first marriage was in the church. She was young and pregnant and under threat of being disowned if she didn't marry. He never wanted to marry and never intended on acting married. He was abusive mentally as well. He never showed who he was until after marriage. They only dated less than a year when they were married. Due to the pregnancy they didn't even go through the pre-marriage courses, the priest let them by without it.

SO first marriage was in the church. Second marriage was only a civil ceremony. She just wants to annul the first so the second can be made valid if possible. They want to have children together and that makes it even more important to have the marriage valid in the church.

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It certainly sounds to me like she's got grounds for annulment.  It could be a bit of a process, so she should get started as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are a couple of people in my church who entered the church after being married a second time. They were able to have their first marriage confirmed null, and the second marriage convalidated.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice, I am going to call and let her know she should make an appointment with the priest. I hope it all goes well because it's really important to her.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    if she was pregnant and coerced into marrying that is definiteily grounds for annulment.

what's teh scoop with her second husband?  has he been married before?  he would also need annulments if this is his second marriage as well.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    The second husband has never been married. He is a wonderful man and we are all so glad they found each other. He is Catholic already and is practicing. He had lived with someone briefly but never thought about marriage until they met. (it took him a while to get over his ex when she broke up with him so he hasn't dated too much)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just have to say I personally know of a couple where the husband was married the second time by JOP then had the first marraige annulled and then (after a number of years and 2 kids) got married in the Catholic church. Long story but since it was back in the 80s I think it can work with the right church and priest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards