Catholic Weddings

Just wanted to share!

I completed RCIA this past April and recently I've been wanting to become more involved in our church and to learn more. I LOVE our church but there aren't too many volunteer opportunities or even groups to be a part of. I had been thinking of volunteering to teach CCD but was hesitant about it because I felt that I didn't know enough to be teaching others. When we were at mass a few weeks ago, our priest said that they still needed more volunteers so I took that as my sign and called the next day to offer my services.

So, I'm teaching at the 5th grade level. Tonight is our 2nd class - last week went well though I was extremely nervous!

I'm really excited to be a part of the CCD program - to be able to teach children about God, even if it's just one thing, is an awesome feeling. Plus it definitely makes me think and learn new things too!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Just wanted to share!

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    awesome!  ive thought about teaching CCD....
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats great! I would love to do that--its not an option at my parish though...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • LanatirLanatir member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :)  That's great!  Being a teacher is a GREAT way to pass on your new enthusiasm for our traditions and beliefs as well as a wonderful way to read up on stuff you're not so strong on!  :)  And, even though joined in April, I'd like to say welcome to our family!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love teaching CCD. I teach a combined class of 7,8, and 9th grade right now. Best thing to do especially if you are worried about knowing the subject matter is go over the lessons well in advance and research it yourself. You need to think about the kind of questions which your 5th graders would ask. Make sure you tell them if you can't answer their question, happens often, you will find them the answer. Big thing, make sure you do it! Write it down and make sure you find it for them.
    This can be a great chance for both you and your kids to learn and love Christ and our Church together! It really is rewarding and one of the best things I look forward to. If you need help I can help you to the best of my ablities.
  • edited December 2011
    That is so exciting! I would love to teach CCD someday when the time is right! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hats off to you.

H and I are very involved in our church. I teach pre-k (which is ministry bc we only make minimum wage), I work in the Nursery, taught VBS this year and work with the Lifeteen youth group. I have thought about teaching Faith Formation (same thing as CCD; my old parish back home called it PSR - Parish School of Religion, so it is different depending on where you are), but maybe next year.
  • edited December 2011
    That's great!  I've taught CCD in the past (7th grade), and it was a great experience.  I would have done it again this year, but my work schedule changed.  If you're nervous, just prepare well in advance so you can anticipate what kind of questions a 5th-grader would ask. 
  • edited December 2011
    That is so neat! I would love to teach CCD, maybe one day when I'm done with working full time and grad school lol.

Kudos to you for taking on such a difficult but rewarding task!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    MissySue - Yay LifeTeen!

lburkey - yay for RCIA and getting involved! I did RCIA for Confirmation as an adult and then God called me into youth ministry...something that helped me overcome my fear and that I still remind myself of - God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. He has great plans for you and those kiddos. Many blessings on your year :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards