Catholic Weddings

Dinner with Priest

After FI and I finished marriage prep classes with our priest, he said he would like to take us out to dinner.  His secretary has scheduled dinner with him for us this Thursday.  I'm a little nervous about it.  Is there proper etiquette for "Dinner with a Priest"?  Should we offer to buy his meal or would he be offended by that?  Or was he offering to buy US dinner when he said "I'd like to TAKE you out to dinner?"  I'm also nervous about what to discuss.  Any advice or suggestions to help make me feel better about this?

Re: Dinner with Priest

• Priests are people too. Just discuss whatever you would with other people. Current events, movies, books. Whatever you like to talk about. Perhaps he just enjoyed your company as friends and would like to treat you as such. I would just enjoy the evening. It's kind to offer to pay, but don't be pushy, since he did the inviting. Let us know how it goes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto christina's advice!  Try not to overthink it too much, and just look at it as an opportunity to get to know your priest a little better.  I'm sure it will only make your wedding ceremony even more enjoyable the better you're able to get to know each other.
  • I loved dinner with our priest!  It is really just an opportunity to get to know each other better.  We really didn't talk about our wedding at all when we had dinner with him.  His homily at our wedding was so personal, and I definitely think that helped.

I think it's polite to offer to pay, but I agree, if his intention is to "treat" you, don't push it.  That's very kind of him!
    Anniversary

• Yes, offer to pay when the check comes, but I suspect the priest will insist on paying.
    Anniversary
  • I think the reason for this is to get to know you as people not the bride and groom.  It will greatly add to your wedding if he knows your hobbies etc.  I know it is different but when my father died the priest who knew him but not like we did of course sat around the house and chatted with us for hours. It was us being able to laugh and tell stories. His service was amazing because of these things.
    I know priests like to know the people they are performing a ceremony for and I am sure this is the reason.   Yes they are human and need food too.  Usually some wine too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards