Catholic Weddings

Readings and Music

I'm sure this has been posted a bazillion times and I apologize for posting again but I'm way lost.

We're only having the ceremony (not the full mass) since FI is not catholic. Anyway. We're meeting with the priest this weekend to go over our FOCCUS results and hopefully discuss readings and music. Are there still even readings (I'm assuming there are but not sure) even though it's not just a full mass? I know I want a unity candle so any good music that will work and the church will allow.

Oh and I've already pre-asked my priest about music and his response was "Discuss this with your mother." So he's not much help...

TIA ladies!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Readings and Music

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes, you can still have readings without Mass.  i usually see 2 different readings.

are you allowed ot have the unity candle?  be sure to ask.

for music, you are usually restricted to non-secular music.

two of my fave songs are "ave maria" and "on this day oh beautiful mother".
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, there will still be readings.  A Catholic marriage ceremony without mass is basically the Liturgy of the Word part of mass, without the Liturgy of the Eucharist.  So you'll still typically have a reading from the Old Testament, a responsiorial psalm, a reading from the New Testament, and the Gospel.

Ask your priest if he has a Together for Life book.  They are little booklets with all the standard marriage readings for you to choose from.
  • edited December 2011
    catholicweddinghelp.com  is also a good resource. We never got the TFL book, but I used that website a whole bunch.
  • edited December 2011
    I am not doing a full mass for the same reason. There will be readings the music/literagy director should help you with this.
    Ask your priest if you are allowed to have a unity candle. Since it is not a Catholic tradition then many churchs do not allow it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I'll be sure to ask about the unity candle. I had no idea about that along with that book!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards