Catholic Weddings

Cord, Veil, Coins...?

Hey Ladies,My fiancee is Filipino and he wants the full mass including the Cord, Veil, coin and etc (I think it's a Latin tradition too).  I'm trying to put our ceremony program together, with as much detailed as possible because most of my guest are mainly Buddhist. I remember when I first started going to church with with my fiancee, I felt so awkward; sit, stand, kneel, shake hands, sit, stand and sing. So with that being said, I would like our programs to be very informative for our non-Catholic guest. It will be the first time most of my guest have ever gone into a church.  I just don't any one feeling confused or left out.  Does anyone know where I can find some details about these things?Thank you!Angel

Re: Cord, Veil, Coins...?

• edited December 2011
    I found this site which has the mass program with detail and many other things your noncatholic guest should know. Hope this helps you. http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/order-wedding-with-mass.htm
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am not sure where to look (google baby!) but i think it's a great idea to explain/spell out what's going on.  it's very thoughtful, and as a guest at different cultural weddings, i always appreciated and loved reading about all those little things that mean so much to the couple. 
  • paradyseparadyse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest sitting down with one of your FIs family members & have them explain the traditions. And take notes. A lot of times its easier to get an idea of what's going to happen (& how to explain it) when you can ask questions of someone who has grown up with these traditions.
  • 10-4LilBuddy10-4LilBuddy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there.  Here's what I used based on Google and talking to my family.  Coins (Arras) – The 13 coins represent Christ and his Apostles.  The coins have come to symbolize the couple’s commitment to mutually contributing to their relationship, their children, and their community.   Unity Candle – The candles symbolize the Light of Christ, the same light they received at Baptism and now receive again to lead them in their new life as a couple.   Cord (Rosary) – The cord is a symbol of the lifelong union of matrimony and the love of God, which binds hearts and souls together.  The cord is in a figure eight to symbolize the infinite bond of marriage.   Veil – The couple’s white veil symbolizes their union under one roof, from this day forward, as they leave their families as two individuals to become one body.  Important note on the veil - it should go on your head and his shoulder (bad manners to put in on his head).  For the rest of the mass items, you may want to consult your priest and ask if he has something that he can give you.   A primer on the mass can also give you a lot of information.  I really enjoy knowing all the symbolism that goes in to a ceremony.  For more on Filipino traditions, visit the Customs and Traditions board.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Your church missalette has all that information already printed for you, the only thing you need to do is add in the ring exchange and cultural traditions where needed.
  • edited December 2011
    i know i'm a bit late on this post, but i just saw it and may be able to help. i still have my filipino catholic program from our wedding somewhere in my computer. if you want a copy, i can send it to you. my email is bettafly21 {at} hotmail
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards