Catholic Weddings
Options

Confession

For a variety of reasons, I haven't been to confession in quite some time.  I would like to go now, and again just before the wedding, but I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about it.  Any tips?  How should I prepare?  Do you go regularly?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Confession

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go every few weeks. It is an amazing source of healing and deliverance. It brings grace to help you every day.Here is a link to an examination of conscience. This can help you prepare and reflect.http://www.scborromeo.org/confess.htmThere is an act of contrition you can print out and bring with you in case you don't remember one.There is no need to be apprehensive. It is sooo freeing afterward! Just tell the priest that its been awhile and you aren't sure what you need to do. There's nothing they haven't heard before and they are in awe of the humility of those who confess.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just go they usually offer them every weekend at every parish. I usually ponder my sins for a while before going and have been known to write a list. I also always write out the "bless me father for I have sinned it has been X months/years since my last confession" thing as I always forget in the moment and hate the alkward pause. Then again I usually go twice a year lent and advent. The thing is it is a huge release to go and get absolved of all teh bad stuff one has done. It is more stress relieving then a pedicure
  • Options
    Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Sacrament of Reconciliation is such a blessing and a gift!  I'm so glad you're planning to receive it again.  :-)(Incidentally, this is an awesome day for this topic to come up, because today is the feast day of St. Padre Pio, who devoted hours to hearing confession and suffered the wounds of the stigmata for 50 years.)I do confess regularly - even as difficult as it is, it is an absolute necessity.  Remember that it is a sin to accept the Eucharist if you are not in a state of grace - hence, confession is supremely important . . . too important to neglect.Once you get in the habit of going often, it will become easier and you'll have such a burden lifted from your shoulders!  The best tip I can give you is not to stress out - and remember that we all need His mercy.  I'm keeping you in my prayers!  God bless you!
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i try to confess monthly, or at least every 2 months. its not that bad.  remember, there is NOTHING you can tell him that he hasnt heard before.  even the priest sins.  i find going regularly makes me think twice about sinning.  it makes you more in tune with right vs. wrong if you know you are going to be held accountable in the confessional. if you havent been in awhile, you may want to bring a cheat sheet with your sins listed out so you dont forget anything.  also, if you dont remember your act of contrition, you may want to write that out too.
  • Options
    VAtoCOVAtoCO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to say thanks to all who have responded so far.  It's very encouraging and helpful.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What the girls have said above pretty much hits it the mark.  Examination of Conscience is a good place to start.I just wanted to add that it's really easy to confess.  Here are the steps that I usually go through.  I confess every 2-3 months:You go in, you make the sign of the cross, and sometimes you don't even have to say anything first because the priest already starts you.  That's usually the cse.  First thing he says is a prayer or if he doesn't he'll ask, "What would you like to confess?" and then you unload like you do with a friend.  Start with the most serious sins first because when you get to the end of the "laundry list" you want to feel lightened.  Then he'll ask, "Is that all?"  And then he asks you to make an Act of Contrition, which is usually posted in the room, but if not you can make up your own Act of Contrition.  Then he absolves your sins and then you make the sign of the cross and you're on your way to a happy, joyful life!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to throw this out there - our priest stayed a bit after the rehersal for anyone who wanted to go to confession to do so.  it was really nice because a lot of our families went etc, so somehow everything just seemed so fresh.  I happen to love our preist as well and my confession turned into confession and just general talking/life/wedding advice.  I felt wonderful to have it right then when he knew what was going on in my life. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a youth minister at my parish ; and since I became the youth minister around 5 months ago, I have actually not been to confession. I too have those apprehensive moments of going: even if I am going regularly. For me, going to a priest I knew very well and trusted really helped me to feel comfortable in confession. I prepare in a variety of ways: my parish offers adoration on Wednesday nights. Sometimes, if I make an appointment for confession, I'll drive around for a bit to clear my head and get my thoughts straight. I will also reflect on examinations of conscience. In terms of how often I go, it varies. When preparing for a retreat, I go usually at least 2-3 times a month. When on my own, I usually go every few months. Being a youth minister, I do get a lot more opportunities than average. But it doesn't seem to diminish my nervousness or apprehensiveness. However, as nervous as I am going in, I feel so much better coming out! I hope this helps. I kind of lurk about on this board. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards